Lid Dust

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Sheryl Lambert

Lid Dust

Post by Sheryl Lambert »

I have a new Skutt Firebox 14. The first 2 times I fired it, I had no problem, but the last 2 times, my piece has been littered with white specks. The first time it happened, I assumed it needed to be vacuumed. I vacuumed the top and sides with my shop vac with hepa filter, and the most recent firing (the previous piece that has been ground with a diamond hand pad to remove the flakes) has even more white dust on it. Some of it will probably flick off, but some is usually cooked into the glass. Any ideas?
Laurie Spray

Re: Lid Dust

Post by Laurie Spray »

I would call Skutt.....that should not be happening on a new kiln especially if you vacumned it. Take good picture..... Show us too. I am always refering people to Skutt so I am interested to know if there is a problem too!
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
Sheryl Lambert

Post by Sheryl Lambert »

Thanks for the response, Laurie. I just took the last piece out, and it looked like it had snowed in there. All but 2 tiny speck washed off this time, so it must have sloughed off later in the cycle than before. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture. I vacuumed really well again, and have another piece in there now. If the problem continues, I will definitely call Skutt. (And, let you know. :wink: ) I have always heard fantastic things about Skutt, so I'm sure it will be resolved.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

The elements move a small amount when the power cycles on and off. Right now, that action is loosening brick particles in the element grooves. Make sure you vacuum the grooves as best you can. Also, it might help to run the kiln empty for a couple of short cycles (no need to anneal). This should get you closer to the point where all loose particles have been knocked off the surface of the groove.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

Tony..... I have never seen that kind of "snow" in a new kiln, have you?
Laurie Spray

Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

It's a new kiln in its first firings. There could be dust up behind the elements/seating from when the grooves were routed, or when the kiln was jostled in shipping. Or the new metal could be expanding as it heats and abrading the surface of the brick when they shift.

When the elements heat, expand and shift slightly, the dust is exposed and drops down.

Is it all over the footprint of the kiln, or more in some parts than others?
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Laurie Spray wrote:Tony..... I have never seen that kind of "snow" in a new kiln, have you?
Yes. My 23" Evenheat shed particles for weeks until I really got into the grooves and cleaned hem out. My 2541, not so much.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Sheryl Lambert

Post by Sheryl Lambert »

It's pretty evenly distributed. I just took a peek and, I don't see any obvious specks so far this round. If there are, I will run a few cycles empty to clean it all out. It makes sense that there could be residual dust from the manufacturing, the shipping, etc. Thanks for everyone's input.
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

Hmmmmmmm......maybe I need to get a new kiln to test this theory! :-k
Laurie Spray

Sheryl Lambert

Post by Sheryl Lambert »

Laurie Spray wrote:Hmmmmmmm......maybe I need to get a new kiln to test this theory! :-k
:lol:
Mike Griffin

Post by Mike Griffin »

I had the same problem with my Cress kiln. Was OK when I first bought it but after around 20 firings I was discovering tiny particles of brick fused into the glass. I vacuumed the lid thoroughly and regularly but still it happened. Eventually I found a way to blow out the lid grooves using a length of tube attached to a car tyre. I was amazed at what came out that the vacuum missed. Now before each fusing I place a black card in the kiln, close the lid and drop the lid support arm a couple of inches onto the stop. I repeat until I get negligible white specks, which is usually twice. As time goes on I seem to be getting less and less. After I insert a piece in the kiln for firing I close the lid very gently and I've had no further problems with specks on my pieces.