best mold shape for sushi dish and sauce?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

seachange

best mold shape for sushi dish and sauce?

Post by seachange »

Hi again

I have a request from a gallery for sushi dishes and sushi sauce bowls.

I don't eat sushi (yes, I know, my loss :) ), therefore don't know what shape would be a good selling one.

Did several google searches, the sushi molds on offer seem to be a lot more curved than the actual finished sushi dishes, for example as sold by Amazon. I imagine the little rolls all sliding together untidily towards the center of the plate, due to the curve. But, as said above, I might just imagine this.

The finished ones have mostly a rectangular flat surface with a small border, perhaps not more that 1/2" high, at what seems a 45 degree angle to the flat base.

There are some in wood that are just a longish, thinnish rectangular piece, with no edges at all. Would this work in glass? Do the sushi rolls loose some juice that needs to be contained by a border?

So many questions, hoping for some help.

Would like to come up with some really practical and saleable shapes.

Many thanks in advance, seachange
David Jenkins

Re: best mold shape for sushi dish and sauce?

Post by David Jenkins »

Bullseye's Medium Channel Plate (and I guess the other available lengths, as well) makes a dish we think is great for sushi. It's a shape that's not nearly as common as some other sushi plates and you may consider this an advantage or disadvantage, from a marketing standpoint - YMMV.
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I make sushi plates flat with a foot, so they are easy to lift. Mine are fired face down (foot up) with an intentional fine texture painted on the kiln shelf. The chefs like to place items on the plate with their knife blades. I supplied a restaurant with plates, starting in the early 90's. I was in recently to check in, after I hadn't heard from him in a few years, The owner I worked with, sold the restaurant and retired. There were still plates of mine in service.

Bowls for sauces are small but will hold liquid. I have never made any of these.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
seachange

Post by seachange »

Hi Bert and David

Many thanks for your replies. Sorry about delay in thanking you, life got a bit in the way.

I sent a list of alternatives to the gallery the moment I received your emails. Think that Davis' suggestion might be a bit long for this place, but I love it, so included it.

Bert, your idea is so tempting, it sounds quick and easy to make. Hoping they'll choose it :wink:

I also added small rectangle 8945 and medium rectangle 8949 (I am looking at BE catalog 8, page 53).

Interestingly, in the german manufacturers website of these molds, they are both called sushi molds, so guess they should be also all right.

Now I'll sit tight and see what happens.

Many thanks again and best wishes, seachange