Thinfire residue

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

aliceRI

Thinfire residue

Post by aliceRI »

I'm having an issue with bullseye thin fire leaving a residue on the underside of my glass. The picture shows the whitish haze on the part that is against the thinfire. No haze where 1/16" fiber paper is used.
Any suggestions?
Lynn Perry

Re: Thinfire residue

Post by Lynn Perry »

Hi, Alice. The only solution I have found is to not use Thinfire. Pre-fire it, vent it, clean your glass to the ultra-sanitary level, etc. and you still won't be able to predict when it will cause hazing, scum, whatever you choose to call it. Thinfire is an endless discussion topic on this board. Most of the solutions to remove the effects of Thinfire after firing usually just lead to another set of problems. Sorry....
Lynn Perry
aliceRI

Post by aliceRI »

I've used it for years and just bought the large roll of Bullseye thinfire! I really only had an issue one time with opal powder blue but this is Bullseye clear. This is frustrating to say the least. Does anyone have a way, other than sandblasting, to get it off? I have a large piece that I fired with this small one that I haven't clean off yet. Too afraid :cry:
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

Are you using Teka clear?
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
aliceRI

Post by aliceRI »

No, Bullseye clear. After a bit of research, I think I know what I did. I held it too long at the top full fuse temp. It's a big piece and I was worried it wouldn't fill in the gaps for the carving technique. I do have some areas in the big piece that has a film. Am looking into sandblasting services in Rhode Island now. :(
Any other ideas are welcome. I was planning on putting enamel colors in the indentations and re-firing anyway so maybe this is the way to go. Live and learn.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I pretty much always use Thinfire (recently moved over the Papyrus, but basically, the same thing). I've had this kind of "scumming" only once -- when the base glass was irid and I placed it irid side down.

http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... it#p342894

Later learned from the smart folks on this board that irid to Thinfire is a no-no. Could it be you actually had an irid?

Dana W.
LDGlass

Post by LDGlass »

I stopped using Thinfire because the results were often unpredictable. I now use Papyros and I like it a lot better. Plus you can re-use it.