GB4 programming question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Buttercup

GB4 programming question

Post by Buttercup »

My GB4 is not responding to the 'F1' command given when in program mode. I am attempting to cancel any remnants of a previous program so I can enter a new program. (I prefer to enter the program each time so there are no remnant steps left in the controller to work around.) With the controller in program mode I have pressed F1 but it doesn't seem to clear. Steps I have entered previously still show up on the display.

I'm wondering if I have confused it as I turned it off at the wall plug when I could not get it to clear. On re-reading the manual it appears that it may treat such a cut-off of power as a power outtage and attempt to save its program to restart when next turned on. I had several failed firings because, unbeknown to me, a wire from the sending unit had become detached but was still sitting in place so the connection looked normal. It was possibly touching sometimes and not touching at others. ( I had an intruder, a ten-foot python, in my workshop and think it may have dislodged the wire). I tried a variety of settings which resulted in erratic firings, none of which worked until the disconnected wire was reconnected. Now I can't get it to clear using F1 and it seems to be running some phantom program of its own invention.

My understanding from the manual is that pressing F, then immediately pressing 1 ('1' being the unit number), when in program mode should clear any program in the memory for that kiln. Can anyone tell me if there's another step or procedure I'm missing, please?

I emailed Digitry but have not received a reply yet but need to get on with some firings and hope someone can shed some light.

(I normally turn the controller off when I'm not going to be using it. I have done so in the past with no complications; could this interfere in some way?)

I read a thread on Craftweb about GB4 problems but don't think the thread relates to mine, at least I'm optimistically hoping not.

Thanks, Jen
Brock

Re: GB4 programming question

Post by Brock »

Can't help with that, but I think you press FO to get rid of pythons . . .
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thanks for that Brock. I tried to spell it out but there's no 'U' on the key pad. Anyone else.....?
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Just in case anyone thinks I'm losing it....here's the intruder. Jen
Attachments
Does your workshop have one of these?
Does your workshop have one of these?
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I thought it was pretty exotic when a spider triggered my burglar alarm. A python screwing up the kiln beats that by 3 or 4 million miles.

I looked through the manual and F1will reset your first program if you're in program mode, not if you're in monitor mode. Could it have switched over?
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thanks, Cynthia. I made sure it was in program mode. Having read on Craftweb that unplugging the controller can allow it to reset itself it's currently unplugged and I'll plug it back in when I go back into the workshop.

I also received a PM suggesting I try connecting to one of the spare channels as I only have two kilns connected to it at this time so there are three spare channels. Apparently a fuse related to the faulty channel could have blown. Will check that next if the channel swap indicates that the controller is still in working order and it doesn't rest itself after being unplugged. I can also fire the other kiln to see if that works OK. I hadn't realized it was possible for one channel to go out and the others would keep working. (Then again, the other kiln is the one that had the classic potmelt, where even the clay pot and tile dams melted.)

As for the visiting fauna, could explain why there are no spiders in the workshop. :D Thanks again, Jen