How was this made?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Peter Angel

How was this made?

Post by Peter Angel »

Hello.

Does anyone know how this was made? Blown? Cast?
tumblr_mwmu6g5d1n1s1a0iro1_400.jpg
tumblr_mwmu6g5d1n1s1a0iro1_400.jpg (12.78 KiB) Viewed 5225 times
Peter
Peter Angel
http://peterangelart.blogspot.com/

A bigger kiln, A bigger kiln, my kingdom for a bigger kiln.
Haydo

Re: How was this made?

Post by Haydo »

Could it be called hollow cast. Emma Camden has a lot of work in the past with cores. Haven't seen any of her work with this sort of detail but it would have to be along the same principles. But then again I am probably wrong.

peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

I'm thinking blown or made in the torch with a thin, greenware skull pressed into one end of the vessel to leave the impression... The greenware could be broken out easily after annealing.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

probably blown from boro on a lathe. inside is blown first then it inserted into a closed off piece of large tubing with a flat end. Then the lips are attached together and melted so they are smooth. The use of a scientific glassblowers lathe with the proper torches would facilitate this well. Original skull mold have been made from graphite and hinged. With boro you could easily fire polish the seam lines and not have to worry too much about thermal shock.