Transparent Red for High Temp

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lbailey

Transparent Red for High Temp

Post by lbailey »

So I'm really enjoying the screen melts, flow boxes and other higher temp techniques but am struggling with the transparent reds. I have tried both BE 1322 - Garnet Red and BE 1122 - Red and both end up turning an ugly, dark brown color. (Ok, ugly might be a bit strong, let's just say not the desired result). Is there another brand of transparent red that survives the higher heat and maintains a true red color?

Looking for a bright, primary transparent red. (I know that BE 0024 - Tomato Red does pretty well when an opal is called for)

Any suggestions?
JestersBaubles

Re: Transparent Red for High Temp

Post by JestersBaubles »

Most reds tend to color shift at high temps.

Dana W.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Same problem in casting--most reds opacify with prolonged/high heat, and some go livery. If you buy a glass especially meant for casting, you'll have better luck. Bullseye sells Burnt Scarlet Striker and Ruby Red Striker. The first is a hotter red, the second more of a blue-red. The billet and frit will stay transparent red when you cast with them. This Burnt Scarlet piece had two separate firings with a 4-hour process temp in the 1525F range. It kept most of its transparency, although it was less transparent after the second firing:
totems-shout-smaller3.jpg
I'd get some and test it, see if it works at high temps. I would think that the sheet glass would work, too...but I would test first to make sure (or call Bullseye).
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
lbailey

Post by lbailey »

Called BE, they confirmed what you said (big surprise......) no sheet glass in a transparent red for use above 1500F. So I guess I buy billet and slice it up....sheesh #-o