motors

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Marty

motors

Post by Marty »

specifically on my saw- it cut fine all afternoon, then I took a break (always a mistake) and when I went back to it the motor whined for a half second and then blew the breaker. The pulley turns freely. I don't see plugs for brushes. Is the problem the starter whatchamathingie on top of the motor? And if so, do those things fail all at once?

Marty
Cheryl

MY saw...

Post by Cheryl »

does that all the time (except it doesn't blow the breaker). I think it's a faulty switch - probably a short or something. In my case, if I back off of the glass and give it a few seconds, it comes back to life. Or I jiggle the switch. If you call someone like a DeWalt or Grainger, they'll know.

PS: That whine is the worst part.
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

It's probably the the starter gizwatchie. If your motor has a starter capacitor, the small rounded metal box attached to the side of the motor, it is possible the capacitor is kaput.

The other thing that maybe wrong is a stuck centrifugal starter switch. Each time the motor starts a switch activates the starting winding for a few seconds to give the motor an extra kick to get it going. Sometimes the switch gets stuck "on" and the motor just growls instead of turning, the result, no motion, high current , the breaker pops.

If your motor is fan cooled, the switch is inside the housing behind the fan blade.

I would vote for a stuck switch.

Ron
Marty

Post by Marty »

Ron- Grainger says it's not fan cooled, got to be the capacitor. OK, capacitor is 6 bucks, nearest Grainger (30 minutes away) has one in stock, not the same size but the same specs, figure I'll have to do some cheatin' tech to attach it.
But- it doesn't help the problem. Motor and cap. made in 1953, I figure me and the former owner have got our money's worth, and yep, Grainger has the motor in stock, about $120, but they close in 5 minutes and will hold it for tomorrow.
All's well...
Thanks for advice. Now to get the blanketyblank pulley off!

And Cheryl- your saw whines because you beat it up.

Marty
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Wow , only 51 years old. Time for a replacement. Good thing they don't replace people after 51 years, We would be in trouble for sure.

Ron

ps I see some new goodies on your website, really cool stuff. Keep the bar raised enough so the rest of us can chew on it a little.
Last edited by Ron Coleman on Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claudia Whitten

Post by Claudia Whitten »

Ditto Ron, Way Cool.......It's late and I should go to bed but the board has some great stuff on it tonight.....Marty your work is outstanding and I should check more often.........Claudia
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: motors

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Marty wrote:specifically on my saw- it cut fine all afternoon, then I took a break (always a mistake) and when I went back to it the motor whined for a half second and then blew the breaker. The pulley turns freely. I don't see plugs for brushes. Is the problem the starter whatchamathingie on top of the motor? And if so, do those things fail all at once?

Marty
2 get pully off

Best is a pully puller

But if U warm pully it expands n is easier 2 get off

With such old motor is time 4 new one

Brian
Marty

Post by Marty »

I thought I'd use the cheatin' technique- a bigger hammer- but I like the heat idea. We cheaters here in the usa like liberal applications of WD40 first. Also good to keep food from sticking to frying pans.

And 51 years doesn't seem as old as it used to.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Hi Marty-Sorry you didn't walk Philly. Before you do anything else, see if you can borrow a gear puller from a mechanic, or you can buy one from an auto parts store for less than $20. They are easy, controlled and safe. I once spent too much time trying to get a stuck pulley off a shaft, using every dangerous technique I could think of, and a puller got it off in minutes with no fuss. Now that I have one, I use it a few times a year for more than pulley pulling. Good luck.
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Marty wrote:I thought I'd use the cheatin' technique- a bigger hammer- but I like the heat idea. We cheaters here in the usa like liberal applications of WD40 first. Also good to keep food from sticking to frying pans.

And 51 years doesn't seem as old as it used to.
WD40 is 4 wimps
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

WD40 is 4 wimps
said the rope skipping lamb. :wink: