Twisted Fiber Rope - Can it be reused?

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Deive Butvila

Twisted Fiber Rope - Can it be reused?

Post by Deive Butvila »

Hello,

I can't find any info on whether or not twisted fiber rope can be used more than once. After one firing, can/should I soak it in kiln wash or primo primer to be sure?

In general I am having a difficult time understanding when any release agent should be reapplied to the fiber kiln shelf, to molds, etc. How can you tell?

Since I never fire directly on the fiber kiln shelf I am confident it is ok to reapply kiln wash only after 10 firings. Slumping molds - I take off old and apply fresh primo primer after every slump.

Thank you!
Bert Weiss

Re: Twisted Fiber Rope - Can it be reused?

Post by Bert Weiss »

I use fiber rope over and over. Eventually it loses strength and breaks apart. I like to run mine through some powdered alumina hydrate. This makes it reusable over and over, regardless of what temperature I fire to. Kilnwash contains Kaolin, which after a quartz inversion, can leave scummy marks on subsequent firings. Alumina hydrate is the other ingredient in kiln wash. This is not a problem with alumina.

I have some stainless steel rings inside which I like to fuse large frits in to circles. I line the ring with powdered fiber rope, and I can re-use it many times. The rope is a good shape for not creating needles around the edges of the glass.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Deive Butvila

Re: Twisted Fiber Rope - Can it be reused?

Post by Deive Butvila »

Bert,

So much useful information in your reply!
Thanks for sharing both personal knowledge and technique.

Regards,
Deive