Another newbie question, please...

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bellknap

Another newbie question, please...

Post by Bellknap »

Ok, this is kind of a stupid question, but I am a beginner in this field. Say you cut a glass circle for a top or bottom piece and it cracks. A clean crack for shards, can you still use it? Can you simple use it during the fusing process like you would other pieces of glass in your project? Thanks and I have posted a photo of one of my lampwork winestoppers, so you don't think I am a total geek. See after the learning curve I get much better, ha ha. Lydia
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

If you have a clean crack and you can get the 2 pieces next to each other and then have a full sheet under it, it is no different than butting 2 different pieces of glass next to each other over or under a full sheet. If you are using irids you will get some pulling. It does work easier if the cracked pieces are on the bottom with the full sheet on the top. Or else have some strip decorating the crack.
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
charlie

Re: Another newbie question, please...

Post by charlie »

Bellknap wrote:Ok, this is kind of a stupid question, but I am a beginner in this field. Say you cut a glass circle for a top or bottom piece and it cracks. A clean crack for shards, can you still use it? Can you simple use it during the fusing process like you would other pieces of glass in your project? Thanks and I have posted a photo of one of my lampwork winestoppers, so you don't think I am a total geek. See after the learning curve I get much better, ha ha. Lydia
it will heal, but it'll show in the final piece.
Cyndi

float

Post by Cyndi »

Okay, here is a real newbie question. What is "float"
Cyndi
Cyndi
charlie

Post by charlie »

window glass. made by floating hot glass on a molten tin bath.
Cynthia

Re: Another newbie question, please...

Post by Cynthia »

Bellknap wrote:Ok, this is kind of a stupid question, but I am a beginner in this field. Say you cut a glass circle for a top or bottom piece and it cracks. A clean crack for shards, can you still use it? Can you simple use it during the fusing process like you would other pieces of glass in your project? Thanks and I have posted a photo of one of my lampwork winestoppers, so you don't think I am a total geek. See after the learning curve I get much better, ha ha. Lydia
Very nice stoppers Lydia. Geekness aside, real or imagined, the crack will show. When using different colors, it doesn't matter since what you you percieve is the color shift. If it's two of the same color, even in transparents, or particularly with transparents...you see the seam where you don't expect to see one (even if it's ever so slight) and it can be a design killer. If it's got to be pristine, start over, if the seam showing isn't an issue, butt the pieces up together and fire away.
SWalsh

Post by SWalsh »

Lydia, I'd like to see your slumped wine stoppers but can't find the pics. Where are they? From another newbie! Sue
The past is history,
The future is a mystery
And the present is a gift
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

SWalsh wrote:Lydia, I'd like to see your slumped wine stoppers but can't find the pics. Where are they? From another newbie! Sue
I can't see them either, but after being the only one able to see Liam's beads, I've given up trying to figure it out.

Jackie
Bellknap

Winestoppers

Post by Bellknap »

Sorry gals, can't figure out why some folks can see and some not. The winestoppers are not fused or slumped they are lampwork on a torch. Thanks for all of your help. Lydia
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Lydia:
The stoppers are really nice - how big are they? Morretti?
For those of you who do not see but want to, right click on the red X click on properties, you'll see "web" address, copy and paste into the web browser.

Kim
Bellknap

Winestoppers

Post by Bellknap »

Kim,
Yes they are Moretti. About 2" in height...I also made round ones where I melterd in dots on dots and then the final dot left raised. These were very popular, in fact I really got tired of making them for awhile. It was funny when folks gave them for gifts as the receiver many times didn't know what the heck they were. One lady ordered a bunch and then bought up a number of old bottles. She put a different one in each bottle and put them in her kitchen window.
SWalsh

Post by SWalsh »

Kim and Lydia,
Kim, I found the stoppers thanks to your directions. Many thanks!

Lydia, They're beautiful!

Sue
The past is history,
The future is a mystery
And the present is a gift