slumping mirror

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

east-coast-jacques

slumping mirror

Post by east-coast-jacques »

Hello everybody,

well I was checking the posts for slumping mirror. I understood that it is possible if you put a peace of float over it to stop it from burning up the silver caoting? would I have gotten this one right? My question is if so, would it remain just as shiny?

Thanks for any input
Jacques :roll:
There is a fine line between a hobby and loosing your mind...
Jacques
scooter riegelsperger

Post by scooter riegelsperger »

I have tried to fuse optical grade 1st surface mirror and the aluminum goes away almost completely. It leaves kind of a bronze tint. I've tried mirror to mirror & mirror to plain float, and it all seems to go away. Tried it coated side up and it still turns brown but seems to be a krinkly brown bronze color that feels like it would rub off eventually.
Do illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup?
Bert Weiss

Re: slumping mirror

Post by Bert Weiss »

east-coast-jacques wrote:Hello everybody,

well I was checking the posts for slumping mirror. I understood that it is possible if you put a peace of float over it to stop it from burning up the silver caoting? would I have gotten this one right? My question is if so, would it remain just as shiny?

Thanks for any input
Jacques :roll:
The only slumpable mirror is 2 way mirror. Conventional mirrors have cold paint backers on them and the silver will turn yellow when heated to slump temps.

You can add a reflective surface with silver or platinum luster
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions