Fill in possible gaps?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

AndyT

Fill in possible gaps?

Post by AndyT »

I am making this for a business in town. The base is 3mm Sp 96 clear and everything is is on top...all 96. I've cut the wings and the feet to fit nicely to the body but am concerned they may pull back a bit during firing. I'm just wanting to go to a good tack fuse. I was thinking of putting some of the same color of the body frit where the wings touch the body but not sure how to prevent the feet from moving away.

Any suggestions?
Attachments
procare2 001.JPG
The Hobbyist

Re: Fill in possible gaps?

Post by The Hobbyist »

Since there are two layers of glass there they should not separate. If there is a gap it will not fill. The line between parts will show and since each edge gets slightly rounded they will be a little accentuated.

If you put powder or frit in the gap/line it will not flow to fill, since the temp is not high enough. If you go high enough to make it flow (full fuse) then you run a greater risk...a lot of the piece is a single layer and at full fuse it will likely blow a bubble or two or three...

At a low tack fuse you shouldn't get a bubble but there is a risk because of the single layer exposure.

Jim "The Hobbyist"
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

You would be better off to do a small overlap where the pieces come together.
"The Glassman"
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

DonMcClennen wrote:You would be better off to do a small overlap where the pieces come together.
I thought about that...for the wings but not sure I can do that with the feet as there's very little if any room to overlap them...unless I move the white up just a bit.

Thanks for the reply.
Peter McCarthy

Post by Peter McCarthy »

How about doing a sample firing with pieces matching the areas you're concerned about? Maybe better than finding out the answer with the final piece.