Thin layers of glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Havi

Thin layers of glass

Post by Havi »

Hello everybody, hope you are all well

I have several glass sheets, 1.5 millimeter thick , [I think it is 1/32 "] half the usual thickness we use .
I want to make a piece that will consist of at least 4 or maybe more layers.
I want to work with either powders, or wafers, or both, each on a separate layer. Then, have all of them fused together.

Do you think I could fire ALL the layers at one firing - having powdered each layer separately before???
This does not seem very problematic. I worry about bubbles

Do you think I could use at some layers, or all of them wafers???? :?
In this situation, could I stock the glass and the wafers and fire ALL of the pile in one firing? In this case, I am VERY worried about bubbles....
On the other hand, is it preferable / safer to fire each layer with its own wafer, and THEN fire all the pile together?

I am very scared of firing such a thin glass [1.5 millimeter / 1/32"], never did such a thing...

I hope I have made myself clear, and I hope some of you have tried this and can advise.
Your input will be much appreciated

Many thanks,

Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Warren Weiss

Re: Thin layers of glass

Post by Warren Weiss »

Hi Havi,
The thin glass is 1/16", half of 1/8". I would fire each layer separately to 1350 f. At that temperature the powders or wafers will thin out and fix to the base glass. Also, the glass will not shrink and get thicker. Then stack and fire with a full fuse using a bubble squeeze. If the final thickness is in excess of 1/4" you will have to dam to prevent spread. Have fun.

Warren
Havi

Re: Thin layers of glass

Post by Havi »

Thanks, Warren

My apologies for the wrong calculation of the glass thickness!

H.
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com