To VENT or NOT to VENT?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Havi

To VENT or NOT to VENT?

Post by Havi »

Hi All,
It kills me that I have to wait so many hours until the kiln is cool enough for me to continue working,
So many hours pass between the time the kiln finished working and its arrival at room temp. or maybe a bit higher but reasonable.
I live in a hot / warm country [not only politically :wink: ]

So, after a 12 hours work, according to plan, my JEN KEN 24" squarish, reached 392F. It was about 7:30 am.
At 9:45 am it was 259F
At 1:45 pm it was 145F.

Is it normal???

Do you think, that if I install a venting machine in the studio, the process of cooling down will be quicker????

I did not measure the temp in my studio, but it was not pleasant, to be sure. I have a good air conditioner in the studio, but when it is that hot - I think it might be stupid to use it. Or perhaps I am wrong?

I'd be very grateful for your input.
Many thanks,
Havi
Last edited by Havi on Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Warren Weiss

Re: To VENT or NOT to VENT?

Post by Warren Weiss »

Hi Havi,

Whether normal or not (which I think it is) those are the temperatures in your shop. My experience on a larger kiln (28" x 28" x 18") is to pull out the 2 peep hole plugs at about 250 f. After reaching 200 f I raise the top about an inch to allow for more rapid cooling. I would be less likely to do this if I had a large mass of thick glass in the kiln.

Warren
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I try to run my schedules so that they are finished by the time I leave for work in the morning. "Finished" for me is off at 700 deg F. When I get home in the evening 8 or 9 hours later, my Skutt GM1414 is still warm (>100 deg F). I lift the lid, walk away and go eat dinner so I don't end up thermal shocking because I'm eager to wash the glass :)

I know some people will rush cooling after 300-400 deg F, but I try not to open the lid until 200. After all the hard work and time in the kiln, I would be REALLY disappointed if I ruined a piece because of impatience!

The exception is cabs or very small design elements -- in my SC2, I'll crack the kiln door after they finish firing at 1500 degs (if I am in a hurry).

Dana W.
Havi

Post by Havi »

Thanks Warren and Dana for your responses
I have no plugs in my in my kiln pip hole [it is covered with some transparent irremovable substance] so that it can't be opened. Also, Dana, I am retired now, so my main 'work' is with the glass. And the thing is, that I can't continue working on bigger pieces, as long as the kiln is not cool enough.

If you want, I can tell you one of my 'tricks' - at a certain degree - considering that it is quite warm if not real hot here - I open the kiln, cover the piece with newspapers, and allow it to cool down this way. I have seen that some homeless people use newspapers to cover themselves, and I adopted this trick quite successfully.... This way the kiln bricks cool down separately from the glass itself, and the process is quite quicker, but this can be done only very close to the end .
However,
I am asking about the stages when the temp. in the kiln is still relatively high, will it be helpful then - to use a venting machine in the room , that will take away the hot air in the studio?
Will this have any effect on the process of cooling down of the kiln??
[I guess I have not stated my question properly.... sorry about that]

Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Warren Weiss

Post by Warren Weiss »

Havi,

Probably not very much. What room temperature are you starting with and what would venting lower it to?

Warren