Flood water in kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Patgsc

Flood water in kiln

Post by Patgsc »

Here in Columbia SC, where we've had major flooding lately, my basement flooded up to the level of the floor of my kiln. Don't think the water reached any elements and maybe not the electrical control box. If the only damage is to the brick floor of the kiln, can I just wait for the brick to dry -or maybe speed them along by heating the kiln - or will I need to take more drastic measures to repair the damage?
Marty

Re: Flood water in kiln

Post by Marty »

If the bricks are still intact you can dry it out slowly- if you don't get any sparks when you turn it on then prop the lid a bit and turn the temp to 100- 130 and keep it there for hours (days? Maybe someone who's gone through this will have a schedule). I got a mess of kiln brick from someone who had stored them outside- I stacked them in the garage with spaces inbetween and just left them there for months until I needed them for a kiln. The first firing was long and slow and moist.
Patgsc

Post by Patgsc »

Thanks, Marty. That's helpful information. I still don't have quite all the water out of the basement (it's groundwater that rises up through the floor) so haven't gotten a good look at the interior of the kiln yet. I can feel the floor bricks from the bottom, though, and they are damp. Thanks again.
grammy

Post by grammy »

So sad to hear about all the flooding. I am north of you in Union County NC. Praying that things turn out OK for you.