Gold??

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Linda Denli

Post by Linda Denli »

Cynthia - I really liked your example of the mica powder powder on amber transparent capped with clear. How did you do it? Did you airbrush the mica or just sprinkle it and did you fire it before you capped it ? and at what temperature. I'd really like to give mica's a try but my first attempts seemed to disappear into the glass.

Best regards

Linda
Linda from London
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Linda Denli wrote:Cynthia - I really liked your example of the mica powder powder on amber transparent capped with clear. How did you do it? Did you airbrush the mica or just sprinkle it and did you fire it before you capped it ? and at what temperature. I'd really like to give mica's a try but my first attempts seemed to disappear into the glass.

Best regards

Linda
No airbrushing on these pieces. I suspend the mica in alcohol and paint or pour it where I want it. For contained spaces or hard edges I would airbrush using stencils. Cap and fire to full fuse (no prefire) with a bubble squeeze firing to help reduce the amount of air you trap.
Candy Kahn

Post by Candy Kahn »

When I took a class with Roger Thomas he said to add a drop of liquid dishwashing detergent to the alcohol and mica to break the surface tension. As he is a former chemist by profession I assume this is significant.

candy
Candy Kahn
Art in Glass