Ceramic glazes fired on glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Sandi

Ceramic glazes fired on glass

Post by Sandi »

I was recently given a box of older Duncan ceramic glazes, paint etc. Has anyone tried using these on glass? If so, how successful was it and do you have any pictures of your work? I know that some of them say that they are not food safe but I figured if they work I could make coasters, candle holders etc. Has anyone used these on copper than sandwiched the copper between to layers of glass? I have too many ideas and not enough time to experiment so I thought I would ask the board first.
lohman

Post by lohman »

Sandi,
I have fired cone 06 ceramic glazes on glass with results I was pleased with. Of course, they are decorative only and not food safe. I haven't fired the copper you asked about and all my examples had the glaze on the surface. It is possible to cap the glaze with another sheet of glass to make the vessels food-safe but it does alter the look of the glaze so you'll have to experiment. I used 1/4 inch float and fired to 1500 F which is lower than O6 and that lower temperature makes them even more "toxic" because the glazes don't fully mature.
see the pieces at http://www.justoriginals.com It's a huge website with lots of artists. Search alphabetically under "L" and scroll down to Lohman, Eugene. Let me know what you think.