Multi Color Enameling with Screen Prints

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

cemoore

Multi Color Enameling with Screen Prints

Post by cemoore »

I'm having some success with screen printing with the help of many generous people on this board. The sample attached is thin float (sandblasted on back) with homemade enamel: mason stains in Reusche Series 5 clear flux, a dash of gum-arabic made into a screen paste using a mix of propylene glycol and glycerin. I'm working on getting my exposure times pinned down for good half-tones for variations in opacity, but for now this is a simple single opacity design to get my bearings. My question now is around multi-color screen printing. I know about registrations, but seeking advice on any possible options not to have to fire between color change. I recall Bert Weiss saying not likely achievable but before I drop the subject, I'm asking if that's an impossible dream?
Attachments
alliesdoodle.jpg
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Multi Color Enameling with Screen Prints

Post by Brad Walker »

Not an impossible dream, but it's a lot easier to fire between colors.

Just fire the lowest you can fire to set the enamels.
cemoore

Post by cemoore »

Thanks Brad. Yes, I don't want to make life a living hell, so that advice sounds good. Will need to make sure I bake in the registrations in the designs. The Series 5 low temp is 1140 - sounds like a good starting point and will keep glass nice and flat.
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

For simple multicolor, you can paint on your colors directly on the screen, then squeegee off the excess.. Cannot get great detail, but for general work it works.
jolly

Post by jolly »

There is a woman on Youtube, Fired Glass. She paints and uses a Unique Glass Colors product called Layering Mix. She can do a number of layers of paint before she has to fire. You might look into that to see if that would work for your situation.
There is more to life than increasing its speed.-Mahatma Gandhi