Frit/Blender ???

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

babykitty

Frit/Blender ???

Post by babykitty »

First time to post here, wanted to say hello & ask a quick questions--hello!

I have an old blender that's new home will be the studio or the garage sale box...This one is about 7 years old, an inexpensive Sunbeam from Wal-Mart...it crushes ice sufficently--with patience--not the best for margarita emergencies! (I have a new & excellent one for those purposes...)

Anyway, does anyone have an opinion on if it's worth trying to DIY frit? Or is it best to try to get $5 out of it?

THanks in advance for your advice & insight!
BK
travisraybold

Post by travisraybold »

i use my old junky blender to make frit. it does pretty well, though it takes patience if you want powder...

also, huge plumes of glass dust rise up when you open it... definitely need a good mask!

--travis
east-coast-jacques

blender do good

Post by east-coast-jacques »

dear KB,
I have done it as well and it work well but do crush the larger pieces before or it can break the container (happend to me) but other wise I have good result out of it

jacques :wink:
There is a fine line between a hobby and loosing your mind...
Jacques
Cher

Post by Cher »

Yes. Get your $5. Then spend it on a used osterizer or other blender with sturdier and/or larger blades! I got two at thrift shops after my first one went kaput. The next was cheapie and took forever. I couldn't wait for it to wear out; I caved and went to the osterizer. Can get lots made lots faster. Some people have added water to keep the dust down. I prefer to let it settle, and take all precautions!!
>^..^<