Bubbles

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jolene

Bubbles

Post by Jolene »

Hello...
I tack fused several one inch strips of glass to a round sheet, then attempted to slump into a mold with about a 1 1/2 inch drop. My rate was: afap to 300, 300 per hr to 960 and hold for 20, 300 per hr to 1450 and hold for 5, afap to 960 and hold for 20.

The slump process came out with a big bubble in between each strip of glass I had tack fused.

1. What did I do wrong?
2. Can I refire and remove the bubbles?

Thanks ahead of time for the help,

Jolene
steve_hiskey

Post by steve_hiskey »

just to be clear, the heat rates you described are for the slump, not the fuse right??

I have found that when I am slumping, I want as little heat has possible to accomplish the task.

So, with textures on the bottom, if I wanted the inside of the bowl to be smooth, I would do a:

300d/h to 1100f h10
100d/h to 1250 h5
afap 960 h45 etc.

The slow 100d/h to 1250 gets the slump done... and the glass isn't hot enough to collect the bubbles or make the inside of the bowl form to the uneven texture below it.

If I wanted the inside of the bowl to have texture, I would do

300d/h to 1100f h10
100d/h to 1350 h5
afap 960 h45 etc.

I would still want to move SLOWLY through the slump phase, because this allows the bubbles time to escape and not get trapped.

No, the bubble is permanent (in my opinion) if the piece isnt still flat.

-Steve
Jolene

Post by Jolene »

Thank you Steve...another lesson learned. :)

Jolene