Enamel Pens...how to make them show up?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Cheryl

Enamel Pens...how to make them show up?

Post by Cheryl »

I bought some fine-tipped enamel pens in a variety of colors. Not only do they go on very fine, but they disappear entirely when fired to 1350. Anyone else had any luck? I'd love to find them in a wider tip, too.
AVLucky

Post by AVLucky »

Are you talking about the paint markers from the craft store that you have to shake and press down the tip? Or is this something else that I'm completely unaware of? If so, please let me know, because I'm always looking for new stuff to play with.

I've had inconsistent results using the craft store variety. (I think the brand is DecoColor by Marvy) I used to use the ultra-fine white ones to mark black glass for cutting, but quit after I noticed how the lines fired in if I didn't clean them off carefully. I then tried to use the white lines as a design element in other pieces. Sometimes they stay, and sometimes they fade. I also tried about 8 different colors, and they all turned white after firing, except for the black, which disappeared. The best results have been on very high-contrast pieces (i.e. white on black) with very, very well mixed paint. Shake it twice as long as you think you need to. I guess the bottom line is, the marks show up the most whenyou don't want them to. :roll:

If you want black lines, use stainer paints mixed with clove oil and drawn with a calligraphy pen.