Help for a beginner about fusing glass fritt

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

cpayne

Help for a beginner about fusing glass fritt

Post by cpayne »

Could anyone help me with a fusing guide for float glass fritt using a small enamelling kiln. I would like to know if you start with a warm kiln then increase temp to full soak then gradually reduce the temp or just turn it off and let the glass cool slowly in the kiln. I would also like to know how much time is allowed between temp increases. Thankyou if you can help, Chris.
dee

Re: Help for a beginner about fusing glass fritt

Post by dee »

cpayne wrote:Could anyone help me with a fusing guide for float glass fritt using a small enamelling kiln. I would like to know if you start with a warm kiln then increase temp to full soak then gradually reduce the temp or just turn it off and let the glass cool slowly in the kiln. I would also like to know how much time is allowed between temp increases. Thankyou if you can help, Chris.
well, when fusing you need to start with the kiln turned off, put the shelf with your glass in and then program it. how high you take the kiln depends on what look you are trying to achieve but a 300 or 400 dph ramp would be a good rate to heat it up to your top temp, soak, then full down to the annealing temp, soak again whatever the recommended time is and then off. i don't work with float but some of the others here do do they would be able to help with more specific temps...

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com