Famous Phil!!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Go Phil!!
But now that you are famous please don't say warm glass "isn't nearly as difficult as glass blowing". Say its MORE difficult...much, much more difficult!:wink:
Hope it brings in lots of clients!
Amy
Cheryl

They even showed your awesome kiln!!

Post by Cheryl »

Once I learn to weld, that's first on my list (unless your son needs a new project..?)

Congrats on the publicity! AND they spelled your name right!!
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Thanks for the positive feedback. There are some minor faux pas on a technical basis but for the most part it's all correct. I wanted to list just about everyone when he asked for influences and mentors but he limited me to one. Could not and would not be where I am today if it were not for all of the great people on the board and in all of the classes I've taken.

Phil
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Congrats Phil. Nice article. They always get something(s) wrong. I am delighted to get any publicity I can, but always shudder in anticipation of how wrong it may be. Good luck with your new kiln, looks like a beauty. I like the color. Mine are an all natural iron oxide brown.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Hey I'm confused. I live in the White Mountains. First I go to the Mt Washington Valley in Canada and now there are White mountains in Arizona???
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Marty

Post by Marty »

Nice article, nice work, great-looking kiln!
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Right on Phil!...I always knew you'd amount to somthing. 8)

Doug
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

Congratulations Phil! What a great article!!!!! Thank you for the mention too...I'm truly touched. You've done such amazing (fused glass) work in the past few years, and now this monster kiln!!!! It looks fabulous. You're definitely a man of many talents and great vision. Hope to see you sometime in the near future....

Take care,
Avery
Brock

Post by Brock »

Avery Anderson wrote:Congratulations Phil! What a great article!!!!! Thank you for the mention too...I'm truly touched. You've done such amazing (fused glass) work in the past few years, and now this monster kiln!!!! It looks fabulous. You're definitely a man of many talents and great vision. Hope to see you sometime in the near future....

Take care,
Avery
Oh sure, of course you're going to congratulate him, he mentioned you! Harrumph!!

Seriously, nice going Phil, we expect great things.

The other teacher.
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Brock wrote:
Avery Anderson wrote:Congratulations Phil! What a great article!!!!! Thank you for the mention too...I'm truly touched. You've done such amazing (fused glass) work in the past few years, and now this monster kiln!!!! It looks fabulous. You're definitely a man of many talents and great vision. Hope to see you sometime in the near future....

Take care,
Avery
Oh sure, of course you're going to congratulate him, he mentioned you! Harrumph!!

Seriously, nice going Phil, we expect great things.

The other teacher.
You're cute Brock, just not quite as cute as Avery - all the guys like her WAY better! In fact, I had lunch with one of them Monday -- wanna guess who?

There's a funny story on the topic to boot: A couple years ago when this teacher's pet wanted to travel across the country to take the class with you and Avery, his wife took a look at Avery's picture on her web site then said, "There's no way you're spending a week with that babe!" :lol:

Happily she changed her mind, and he's become one of the duo's star pupils. Who is this mystery man?

(Just for old time sake, Brock, if ya guess right I'll send ya a mag)