Light Oil-Not for Cooking

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Melissa Terman

Light Oil-Not for Cooking

Post by Melissa Terman »

Hi all,

Back in January I took Brock and Avery's class. Superlative! I recommend highly. Question though. For one of the techniques taught, we need to use light oil. The oil used in class was Sewing Machine Oil. Can anyone tell me what other light oils might be? I'm hoping for something that won't smoke in the kiln and that I can get next door or down the street.

As always, your suggestions are always appreciated.

Melissa
Melissa Terman
Brock

Post by Brock »

Hi Melissa,

3 in 1 oil works well. Bob L. could probably make some recommendations. I use a Chevron product, Pale Neutral #5. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Melissa Terman

Post by Melissa Terman »

Is the reason glue doesn't work because it burns off?
Melissa Terman
rodney

what is the oil used for

Post by rodney »

can you tell me what the oil is used for

thanks

rodney
Melissa Terman

Post by Melissa Terman »

for holding metal foils in place.
Melissa Terman
Dani

Post by Dani »

At the risk of being accused of poking fun at the question (which I'm not), I would direct you to the December 2002 Lapidary Journal and an article entitled, "Nose Oil Revisited" by Tamara Honaman. Weird but true... could work in this case, too. Certainly, nose oil has almost as many applications as borax, it seems.

What'll we think of next,

Dani
Kay

oil

Post by Kay »

Just bought some foils from BE, so your posts are very timely. Would you explain how the oil is used? I had planned to use glue. And why is oil better than glue? Hope you all are not getting tired of all my questions. :oops: New comer Kay
charlie

Re: oil

Post by charlie »

Kay wrote:Just bought some foils from BE, so your posts are very timely. Would you explain how the oil is used? I had planned to use glue. And why is oil better than glue? Hope you all are not getting tired of all my questions. :oops: New comer Kay
to hold it down?

if you're putting it on top, you want it to stay put. if you're sandwiching it under glass, holding it down makes it easier to build the piece, but it isn't really necessary if you're really careful.

use just a little bit, and vent the kiln on the way up.