How many shelves can I use to fuse glass in my large skutt

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

deborahbur

How many shelves can I use to fuse glass in my large skutt

Post by deborahbur »

I have a skutt ceramic kiln and am fusing and slumping glass. How many of my kiln shelves can I use to fuse glass and get an even fusing and slumping?
Dani

Post by Dani »

For larger pieces, like bowls at least 12", I can use three shelves and get away with good results. There is a noticeable difference between level of fusing although not quality of fuse. With small pieces like magnets, I use only two shelves to get consistency... with three, I can get spiking on the bottom shelf. I don't have zone control. In fact, I don't have a controller on the Skutt. I just fire my switches medium on all three levels and don't open the kiln until next morning. My idiot-proof firing program!

LOL,

Dani
deborahbur

Are those 1/2 shelves staggered or full shelves

Post by deborahbur »

Are your shelves 1/2 shelves staggered or full shelves one on top of the other?

Thanks
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

hi, i have a scutt and fire 4 shelves regularly for fuse. full shelves. i have zone controll but the bottom will be a small bit cool unless i have the bottom shelf stilted above the bottom element. rosanna
Robin Z

Post by Robin Z »

How about when you are doing a high temp firing? Can you still use 3 or 4 shelfs :?:

Robin Z
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i do not see why not. when i was casting my mags i used the top 3 of the 4 shelves and they worked out fine. that was in the 1650f range. rosanna
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

In my ceramic kiln I use a full shelf (16") on the bottom, and a smaller shelf (13") on top. This gives me a consistent result on both shelves. If I use both full shelves, the lower shelf is cooler than the top shelf. OK if that is what you want, and I guess every kiln will have its own peculiarities.

Lynne