need kiln carve schedule

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Cher

need kiln carve schedule

Post by Cher »

I chanced on to a beauty: bronze tempered beveled edged glass that I want to kiln carve for a window panel. It's 3mm 18"x34". Will be placed on a sand-covered fiberboard bottom of a brick lined kiln (just because it is). Side and top elements. Searching the archives for a good rule of thumb to follow, I found some great times for firing:

"Flat, painted or single-layer 3mm we get in and out of the kiln
within the hour."

Sounds like fun, but I know that's in a fiber walled kiln. So I realized I should check with the pros here. I've done some kiln carving that were in conjunction with 2 layers of float tiles during a fuse, but am unsure of how to proceed.
How fast can I ramp up? holds? anneal points? cool?
Thanks, Yo
>^..^<
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

kiln carving usually implies full-fusing. Are you planning on full fusing the piece? You'll lose your bevel, your temper and it'll probably start pulling in since it's only 3mm thick... also, you'll have to control the devit.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Cher

Post by Cher »

Tony Smith wrote:kiln carving usually implies full-fusing. Are you planning on full fusing the piece? You'll lose your bevel, your temper and it'll probably start pulling in since it's only 3mm thick... also, you'll have to control the devit.

Tony
Thanks for your input and observation. It's wonderful having someone to bounce things off of and get other factors to take into consideration.

I'll take the usual precautions for devit. KNOCK KNOCK. The carving I've done previously has been on fusing projects with the exception of one that was single layered slump on fiber cut outs.

Thanks for confirming the loss of the tempering. I'd read in the archives that after 900 (?)the tempering is lost. I couldn't do anything else with this fab piece, like cut it, if it was tempered.

I guess I wouldn't consider one layer to be a fuse job, just carve. Perhaps I'll be needing more of a slumping schedule. That sounds like it could be short and sweet. I need one like that! I'm slumping my first actual (not prototype) sink this week, another huge alligator skin bowl, an octagonal window, a bazillion bathroom tiles, bottles when idle, making scheduling lists, eat, sleep, be merry.....

bragginorcomplaininkid
>^..^<
Cher

Post by Cher »

Oh, Tony, Was by your www again today. I'll probably have more questrions soon; preparing a mini vitrigraph set up. \:D/
>^..^<