Overfire Black Magic?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Tarlow

Overfire Black Magic?

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Does Black Magic react with glass if over fired (1450F x 10min). I've got a bunch of gray/black glass in my kiln that wasn't that color when I put it in.

- Paul
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Black Magic (Back Magic) has a high lead content and wil turn dark in a reducing atmosphere in the lkiln. I don't know if the process is reversible if you fire again with the vents open.

Ron
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Ron Coleman wrote:Black Magic (Back Magic) has a high lead content and wil turn dark in a reducing atmosphere in the lkiln. I don't know if the process is reversible if you fire again with the vents open.

Ron
Doesn't there need to be something in the kiln to make it a reducing atmosphere? Also, it seems that only certain colors turned dark (black).

Curious if anyone else has seen this -- and if it ever happens at lower (1000F) temps.
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

If only certain colors turned dark then there is a reaction between the glass color and the Back Magic. I know if you put any lead bearing overspray on BE French Vanilla it will turn dark.

Ron
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

It's probably a reaction between the glass and the Back Magic. The lead in the Back Magic reacts with glasses that have carbon in them. I am relying on memory, so carbon might not be it....such as BE's French Vanilla. It's the same reaction you might see with a turquoise glass (reactive element is copper) next to a yellow glass (cad / sel). Brown to black discoloration...in your case splotches.

This is what I learned in a glass fusing class, but since it is ancient history...I may have inadverantly revised it :roll: ...Don't take my word, do the research to see if I have it right...If I remember correctly, these are the reactive elements and they don't play well with others. Lead reacts with carbon and CSS (cadmium /selinium?), copper reacts with CSS (cad/sel?) and carbon.

What glasses are these? I'd have to look at my chart to see.

Sray A will do the same because it contains lead, which is why I use either SuperSpray or Borax.

You might be able to blast or grind it off, but don't really know how deep the stain will penetrate.
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

I agree with Cynthia (mostly)

Lead (and Back Magic has lots) will react with sulfur to make lead sulfide (black/brown). Many amber colored glasses contain sulfur (called “carbon/sulfur ambersâ€
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

[quote="Lani McGregor"]I agree with Cynthia (mostly)

Lead (and Back Magic has lots) will react with sulfur to make lead sulfide (black/brown). Many amber colored glasses contain sulfur (called “carbon/sulfur ambersâ€
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

[quote="Lani McGregor"]I agree with Cynthia (mostly)

Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Lani McGregor wrote:I agree with Cynthia (mostly)

Lead (and Back Magic has lots) will react with sulfur to make lead sulfide (black/brown). Many amber colored glasses contain sulfur (called ?carbon/sulfur ambers?).

Lead will also react with selenium to make lead selenide (black/brown). Many red and orange glasses contain selenium (Cadmium / Sulfur / Seleniums or CdSSe)

If the Back Magic is turning something other than an amber, red or orange glass dark, I'd be interested to know what the glass is.

L
Lani

Gee did you ever imagine that you would become a leading expert in glass chemical reactions :?:

My grades in HS chemistry were C,B,A,A,A,D :twisted:
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions