matte finish

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

This varietch powder sounds like "miracle stuff". I'm presently sand-blasting, coating with an oil finish and sending the work out with perpetual care instructions. Not an optimum situation.

Does this varietch actually seal the sandblasted surface? No more oily finger smears? Does the varietch'd glass glow when light hits it?

Marty or any one else who's tried it..........will you post pictures of your test results with the varietch???

Thanks & way 8)
Marty

more

Post by Marty »

Ron beat me to it-
Bert- check that link for test results.
Gale- photos won't show it, it's just like sandblasted BE sealed/coated with armorall or mineral oil but a little less wetted-looking. No glow. No fingerprints.
Dee- Bob's not selling it yet? He did post prices (about US$20 for a quart).
My stuff's all dissolved, I'm not comfortable shipping it wet. Come by the studio and play!!
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

S. Klein wrote:I sandblast with 220 alum oxide, than hand lap with 400 diamond pad and/or 400 silicon carbide. I do this before kilnforming or in the case of a flat piece before matte firepolishing. My kilnforming or polishing temps differ with colors and range from 1140 to 1190...........steve
In the long distant past I used 2 grind 220

Then SB 280 silicon carbide

There is other technology U could try

SB with glass beads

Use current method but use a rotating brush + grit or pumace

I do think with the application of

Devious Cunning tm

U could achive the nearvana U wish with a lot less effort

4 those than want the vari etch info test results

http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread.php ... eadid=1405