hardware for lamp bender

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Vickie

hardware for lamp bender

Post by Vickie »

I have the lamp bender mold #8725, and want to know how I attach it to the wall after the glass is slumped> Bullseye makes hardware for it, but it costs 90.00!!!!!!!!!!! Help!! I'm thinking I might also be able to use it on the wall with a candle, as opposed to a light. But even so, I still don't know how to hang it. Has anyone had experience doing this kind of project? I just don't know what to do with the darn glass after fusing.
Thanks for any ideas.
Vickie
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

If you ever find out, Vickie, I would really like to know also :? :?

Jim
Bert Weiss

Re: hardware for lamp bender

Post by Bert Weiss »

Vickie wrote:I have the lamp bender mold #8725, and want to know how I attach it to the wall after the glass is slumped> Bullseye makes hardware for it, but it costs 90.00!!!!!!!!!!! Help!! I'm thinking I might also be able to use it on the wall with a candle, as opposed to a light. But even so, I still don't know how to hang it. Has anyone had experience doing this kind of project? I just don't know what to do with the darn glass after fusing.
Thanks for any ideas.
Vickie
Vickie

Please don't burn your house down with a candle on the wall.

In order for a conce design to make UL approval, it has to have a metal plate between the light bulb and the drywall.

Look at Home Depot for something that you can adapt. Let us know if it works.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Bert Weiss wrote:In order for a conce design to make UL approval, it has to have a metal plate between the light bulb and the drywall.
That's good and timely information for me Bert - Thanks.

Do you know if there is any (legit) free source for basic/simplified UL standards for household lighting? I've been to their site and the official (and I imagine hefty) docs are pricey.

- Paul
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Paul Tarlow wrote:
Bert Weiss wrote:In order for a conce design to make UL approval, it has to have a metal plate between the light bulb and the drywall.
That's good and timely information for me Bert - Thanks.

Do you know if there is any (legit) free source for basic/simplified UL standards for household lighting? I've been to their site and the official (and I imagine hefty) docs are pricey.

- Paul
I don't know Paul. I have a friend in the lighting biz who pointed this out to me.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Anybody else think the BE fixture is insanely overpriced?

My solution is to find a fixture I like and make a mold to slump the same shape as the original glass. Then see if I can order just the fixtures from the manufacturer.

I see the BE fixture at $20 tops. Maybe they can explain this one.

Jack
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

Re the price of the UL approved BE hardware: we spent many months trying to get fixtures designed, and UL approved and manufactured at a lower price. We’re still trying to come up with something cheaper.

The price simply represents the cost of small run manufacturing in the US that is UL approved. If anyone can get a cheaper fixture made to the specs and regulations, we’d be delighted to buy them in bulk and distribute them.

Lani
camaro

Interested in lighting hardware also

Post by camaro »

Should anyone find out anything about sconces and that type of hardware let me know also. I found a company that makes lights, contacted them and asked how to get the hardware no response.
So if anyone has some info, send it my to. :D
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Lani,

I know the costs of UL approval. To get one on my controllers would take the profit of the first 28 and the first seven per year in order to remain competitive.

It's a catch 22.

Jack