Technique Ownership - A Question of Ethics

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

And U share!

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Lani McGregor

Re: Technique Ownership - A Question of Ethics

Post by Lani McGregor »

Brian and Jenny Blanthorn wrote: But if I had 2 list where all my Cheetin Technology stuff is stolen from it would B very long

And if U I include the machines as well it would cover many disaplines

From fish equipment to geology

I am not fussy

If its got any use I will steel it

One thing tho I dont pretend anything is mine
Of course… and it is probably impossibly complicated to sort out where all the ideas, methods and equipment came from.

I just believe that giving credit makes people more willing to share.

Lani
LesleyNolan

Sharing New and Old

Post by LesleyNolan »

I am going to step in and add my 2 cents as well. Good question, Tony.

1. I am thankful to all those artists in all mediums that have come before me as they are all an inspiration.

2. I am thankful for the teachers I have had in the past who were all extremely generous in the depth of knowledge that they shared.

3. I am thankful for my students in the past that often times made me do something I hadn't thought of or had thought of but not yet tried.

4. I don't object to people coming in and looking at my work "analyzing my possible techniques" When I go into a painters booth or a textile artists booth I often analyze the work. I choose to look at it as trying to understand what I am seeing and learning from it.

5. If questions become obviously in the vein of "copying" I will hold back information or even make a statement like, It has taken me 11 years of working with the glass to feel like I understand it and can usually predict the outcome. I share with people how complex it can be to accomplish what they see.

6. As an instructor, I stress the importance of using one's own vision and in fact in a class I was teaching that was 7 classes long, I waited until the last class to show them slides. I wanted them to work from their own mind.

Okay, I guess this rambling means that if we share with others every aspect of what we do they will inevitablely use that information in the foundation of their art, and that is okay as long as it is their interpretation.

If we want to keep something to ourselves that is okay too, however, just the fact that it is out there visually means that someone else at sometime will figure it out. That is okay too as long as they do it their own way.

If we want to keep an idea completely secret then we can never tell and never show. Is that art? Even still someone else will still come up with the technique on there own as well. I am sorry to say that very few of us if any are that unique that only we will figure it out!

So the answer is to share with respect for those before and learn with respect to those who taught and create art or craft (another debate) that is true to yourself!

Lesley
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Technique Ownership - A Question of Ethics

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

quote]
I just believe that giving credit makes people more willing to share.

Lani[/quote]

Yes