Need insite on fusing large multi-layer piece for outdoors

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Karen Smith

Need insite on fusing large multi-layer piece for outdoors

Post by Karen Smith »

The local Art Development Association in my town contacted me about fusing a center piece for an outdoor glass, tile, and brick installation. What they want is an 18 inch diameter disc consisting of layers of clear and dichroics on a dark base glass. This piece is going to be in the ground on a special cement foundation that is prepared for Michigan winters.
Does anyone have any experience with creating a piece this big for an outdoor installation where it freezes in the winter?
Also, it seems that a dark base glass would really heat up the whole disc in the sun and could cause a problem with breakage in the winter. Would something this big be better to make in sections versus one piece?
I'd appreciate any experiences you might of had creating a piece of this size for outdoors. Thanks and feel free to email.
Karen
Garden Glass Studio
Chelsea, MI
Bert Weiss

Re: Need insite on fusing large multi-layer piece for outdoo

Post by Bert Weiss »

Karen Smith wrote:The local Art Development Association in my town contacted me about fusing a center piece for an outdoor glass, tile, and brick installation. What they want is an 18 inch diameter disc consisting of layers of clear and dichroics on a dark base glass. This piece is going to be in the ground on a special cement foundation that is prepared for Michigan winters.
Does anyone have any experience with creating a piece this big for an outdoor installation where it freezes in the winter?
Also, it seems that a dark base glass would really heat up the whole disc in the sun and could cause a problem with breakage in the winter. Would something this big be better to make in sections versus one piece?
I'd appreciate any experiences you might of had creating a piece of this size for outdoors. Thanks and feel free to email.
From my perspective, 18" diameter is small. As to whether the black will have problems in winter or summer, I can't exactly say. I would encourage you to just do it and worry about solving problems when you actually have them. The worst case scenario is that you have to chisel out the glass and replace it. Be sure to keep water from getting under it.

Last year Lani posted a link to an outdoor installation made with large sheets of fused BE I think they were at least 36" squares. It was a pointed tower over 100 ft. tall if I remember. The BE was laminated on to tempered glass with liquid resin. I believe the job was installed in Spain and fabricated in Holland.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Tim Lewis

Post by Tim Lewis »

It might be better to have the dichroics glued on to the laminated base glass (a permantly clear UV perhaps). A high quality silicone like GE1200 would be necessary to install it so the water doesn't get between the rock and the glass. Fusing it just sounds like trouble.
Tim