what cones to use

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

tattooedpanda

what cones to use

Post by tattooedpanda »

:?: hope some one can help me out I need to find out what small cones or bars I need for slumping and fusing is there a range to use what # thanks Andy panda123@metrocast.net
Carol

Post by Carol »

014 or 015 should work, however it's not that simple for anything beyond bottles or small pieces. For most work what you need is a pyrometer, available from most ceramic suppliers. Temperature control is often more sophisticated than can be supplied merely by popping in a cone. You should also test your kiln for temperature evenness using the method supplied in Bullseye's Tech Sheet. You'll probably find the bottom shelf in most ceramics kilns is cooler than the upper shelves.

Carol
Dani

Post by Dani »

I fuse at cone 015 or 016 depending on size of the piece up to sixteen inches and four layers. I slump at cone 018 or 019 depending on whether I'm simultaneously curing Reusche high-fire paints. I don't pay much attention to the pyrometer, but to be on the safe side, I set my kiln-sitter to about 8 hours and then fire at medium on all switches... let cool in closed kiln overnight. Use overspray on everything. Idiot-proof at this level. For larger and thicker pieces, or anything requiring fancy-footwork, a controller is better. But, you can do a large amount of work with just cones and switches.