UrbanGlass Glassblowers Ball

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lauren

UrbanGlass Glassblowers Ball

Post by lauren »

what an amazing event! i just got home and am very sleepy, but i just had to write about it real quick. held at chelsea piers in manhattan, i think the turnout was about 400 ppl. i got to volunteer as an 'art handler'...got to get really up close and personal with the pieces. ;) AMAZING work was shown! 50 pieces up for live auction, probably around 30 silent auction. chihuly's piece went for 20k (egads!) ..it was funny, i overheard the guy who won it talking to a friend, he wasn't even sure who chihuly was or if he even liked the pieces he had just bought, but hay 'everyone said it was a good idea!' ...can you imagine? hehe. you can check out the pieces that were up for live auction here http://www.urbanglass.org/auct2003/2003la1.htm L18 was my fav, untitled (homage series) by sabrina knowles and jenny pohlman...i heard a terrible rumour that it broke, i think i'd cry...i know it didnt go up for auction...hmmm...

marty kremer's 'ensemble' pieces were beautiful (btw, i feel terribly rude that i butted into your conversation, but it was fantastic meeting you!) and carol craiglow's piece...very powerful. i forget if i'm missing anyone who posts regularly on here...very sleepy...but seriously, every piece shown was awe inspiring. fun night, yay for urbanglass!

peace
- lauren
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Lauren......thanks for the link.

The Urban Glass auction pieces always do a great job of showing the wide range of glassworking possibilities. The concepts and glass realizations show how infinite our choice of medium can be. ...........and this year, there's nothing trite or over-done in this grouping of glass. Even the neptune green glass with tar lips is elegant with a graceful economy of line and quietly speaks.

Congrat's to Delores, Marty, Barbara and our other fellow glassworkers for being included in this sterling line-up.

More than inspiring!!
Cheryl

But the name!!

Post by Cheryl »

Now if only we could get them to change the name to glass WORKERs ball...where's a fairy godmother when you need one?
Ron Bell

Post by Ron Bell »

Thanks for providing the link. I was in a gallery in Englewood, NJ a few weeks ago and they had several of Davide Salvadore's pieces. They are phenomenal! I must have spent hours with my mouth hanging open :P in awe!
Ron Bell
Black Creek Glass