attaching base LARGE draped pc. HELP....please

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Sherry Salito-Forsen

attaching base LARGE draped pc. HELP....please

Post by Sherry Salito-Forsen »

I made a large draped pc. It's about ( or WAS) 13 1/2" tall, and the widest part of the drape at top was about 17" , narrow at bottom.....top heavy... I flattened the bottom using disc grinder .....yada yada, blah blah....it broke in the middle of the night. So now I'm starting over, this pc starts out 2 layers 1/8 w/ 3 & 4 layers of thin. (overall fills up whole bottom of kiln 26"...irregular shape...10sides...whatever you call that) Anyway I made it thru all firings thanks to suggestions from wonderful board members. I will now START all over. Now I need to figure out what I can attach to base to give it some weight at bottom. I had ordered a 1 1/2" thick , 4x4" plexi, any ideas besides E-6000 to attach it.......OR any other ideas WELCOMED!!
Thank you,
Sherry
charlie

Post by charlie »

granite tile. lots of choices at home depot or a tile store. granite slab from a kitchen countertop sink cutout (scrap at the manufacturers).

steel or aluminium plate. roughed up with a wire brush on a drill. sprayed with airbrush black, or powder coated.

glass (dalle de vare) tile. either cast or fused up with dams about an inch thick.
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

I would use silicone from the hardware store for glueing the glass. My plastics guy says he tested a lot of silicones and the best brand in his opinion is GE brand. In fact he used silicone on a gigantic acrylic sign for a hospital 20 years ago and it has never needed any work despite being out in the elements all those years. Helluvan endorsement!

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Sherry Salito-Forsen

Post by Sherry Salito-Forsen »

Barbara & Charlie,
Thanks for the ideas.....sometimes I just find myself stuck. I find that when I'm dwelling on a problem, I can't seem to think past it..... do you ever do that???
Thanks again,
Sherry