"START ME UP"

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

CHEREX

"START ME UP"

Post by CHEREX »

:) HELLO! HAVE A EARLY 1980'S MODEL PARAGON KILN W/ KILN SITTER FEATURE. AM INTERESTED IN TRYING HAND AT GLASSWORKING. BRAIN OVERLOAD - T.M.I. ON THE NET!!! WHERE'S A GOOD STARTING POINT? CAN I USE THIS KILN FOR GLASS, WHAT GLASS CAN BE USED FOR WARM GLASS WORKS, CAN OLD GLASS PIECES BE USED ( LIKE OLD BOTTLES, CARNIVAL PIECES, ETC. TO OBTAIN UNUSUAL DESIGNS). I LIVE SMACK DAB IN MIDDLE OF USA, UNABLE TO FIND ANY CLASSES/ PERSONS TO USE AS RESOURCE POINTS. MUCH APPRECIATED ANY HELP AVAILABLE TO ME. :)
CHEREX74369
Diane

Post by Diane »

A good place to start would be with the Tutorials on this site. They are great and the best way to get a feel for what you are going to be doing. If you run into any problems, you've found the best place to ask. There's no such thing as a "Stupid Question", everyone here can be very helpful.
Good luck and welcome to the world of Glass Addicts.
Diane
Ann Demko

best place to start

Post by Ann Demko »

My suggestion would be get Brad's book, sold on this site, and read it. It will give loads of info and feed your excitement in working with glass. After reading the book, using the tutorials found on this site will make more sense. Everyone on this site is great and has great patience. They will answer all your questions and give you lots of helpfulhints making your forays in the glass world fascinating and FUN.
Dee Newbery

Post by Dee Newbery »

Where are you located. I also live smack in the middle of the country. I'm fairly new at fusing (1 year). would like to find others in my area to compare notes with.
D
Susan Schroeder

Post by Susan Schroeder »

Dee Newbery wrote:Where are you located. I also live smack in the middle of the country. I'm fairly new at fusing (1 year). would like to find others in my area to compare notes with.
D
I'm outside of Carbondale. Small, small world!

Susan S
Dee Newbery

Post by Dee Newbery »

Fantastic! There are at least 4 others here in Topeka. Feel free to call me if you want to get together. 267-6401.
Dee