Questions about New Thin Fire

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jeri

Questions about New Thin Fire

Post by Jeri »

I tried out the new BE Thin Fire last night on a new 15" piece to do a bowl and it did wonderful. No splitting at all. The back of the piece which is all transparent glass is nice and smooth. I have a couple of questions...
1. I assumed the same safety standards hold for this paper as others? I noticed it is much dustier than the old thin fire.
2. I have had the paper curl up on a piece before so when I put something in now I place small scrap glass all around the edges to hold it down and then I use those small pieces that turn into cabs for mosaics. Am I going through too much trouble? How close to the edge of your glass do most of you cut the fiber paper?

Another observation was where I placed those small pieces and long strips of glass this time on the new paper all around the edges of the pieces the paper split like when the glass maybe pulled in then the paper pulled apart?

Well, thanks and again I appreciate all I learn here!
Jeri
Marc Demian

Post by Marc Demian »

I leave about 1/4 Inch all around the edge of the glass. Haven't used the new thinfire yet. Looking forward to it. Marc
kelly alge

Post by kelly alge »

I haven't noticed any edge curling with the new thin-fire. It is a lot dustier to clean up though... It seems a lot smoother pre-fired as well.
kelly alge

"An ordinary life is a crime" -eric schmider
Marc Demian

Post by Marc Demian »

Just use my NEW thinfire and boy! what a difference! No tearing, no shrinkage and a nice smooth back to my glass. This should make a much more professional finish to my larger projects. Thank you Bullseye. Marc
Jeri D

Post by Jeri D »

Now what are we supposed to do with all the old thinfire. Still have 1/2 a box and too frugal to just replace it. THOUGH I WANT TOO NOW!!

the other jeri
Marc Demian

Post by Marc Demian »

Someone at C&R Loo told me a customer of theirs got Bullseye to take the old stuff back. He called BE directly. I'm just using mine up on smaller projects. If I had a lot I'd probably want to exchange it. Marc

<<Now what are we supposed to do with all the old thinfire. Still have 1/2 a box and too frugal to just replace it. THOUGH I WANT TOO NOW!!

the other jeri >>
Ann Demko

thinfire observation

Post by Ann Demko »

Just another added comment about the new thinfire. I love it. No shrinking or curling and smooth back. I used two pieces on an unwashed shelf and lo and behold when I removed my projects the tine fire stated on the shelf intact and looked as though it was ready to go again. Being a chicken and afraid of ruining my next project and the shelf I removed the thinfire. Has anyone had this happen and did they reuse it and was it OK? Ann Demko
Eleanor Brownridge

thin fire for combing

Post by Eleanor Brownridge »

Has anyone tried the new thinfire at combing temperatures?

I just bought some thinfire in Canada, but it may be the old stuff because it curls dreadfully -- ruined the front of my pieces even though I tried to hold it down with glass at the corners. It just tore apart between pieces of glass at combing temp and curled up.

Just returned from Hot Glass conference in Corning where they suggested using 1/8" fiber paper for combing base, but the prices I can find for that in Canada are VERY expensive.
TurtleCreek Art Glass in Nottawa, Ontario
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Marc Demian wrote:Someone at C&R Loo told me a customer of theirs got Bullseye to take the old stuff back. He called BE directly. I'm just using mine up on smaller projects. If I had a lot I'd probably want to exchange it. Marc

<<Now what are we supposed to do with all the old thinfire. Still have 1/2 a box and too frugal to just replace it. THOUGH I WANT TOO NOW!!

the other jeri >>
if you full fuse something more than once, you could still use the old thinfire on the earlier fuses...

barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Stuart Clayman

Re: thinfire observation

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Ann Demko wrote:lo and behold when I removed my projects the tine fire stated on the shelf intact and looked as though it was ready to go again. Being a chicken and afraid of ruining my next project and the shelf I removed the thinfire. Has anyone had this happen and did they reuse it and was it OK? Ann Demko
I have made sheets of glass on the new thin fire and was able to get the sheets off and use them again for another round. :lol: Yea.

Stuart
Jeri

To reuse or not to reuse!

Post by Jeri »

I too had this happen the other day. It was interesting because I made about 100 tiles and all of the ones made with a cathedral glass base came off the thin fire and didn't disrupt the paper but all the ones done with an opal glass base had the thin fire come off the shelf with them! I'm nervous to use the paper twice but oh how I love the stuff!! Thanks Bullseye! :D
kelly alge

Post by kelly alge »

I've used mine for up to 3 firings.. same results as Jeri though, opals make a hole and cathedrals will leave the paper looking fine. gotta love this stuff!
kelly alge

"An ordinary life is a crime" -eric schmider
Marc Demian

Post by Marc Demian »

Any time I've fused with the new thinfire it has turned to fine dust. Not possible to reuse. In fact, I've been worried one thickness is not enough to fuse a large piece (18") and still let the air escape from below.