Teaching Insurance

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Deb Libby

Teaching Insurance

Post by Deb Libby »

I was just told by my insurance agent that I should consider adding "teaching liability" to my bag of business coverage. I'm not teaching at this point; however, mentioned to him that I was asked by our local high school to do some adult ed. evening classes for them. He tells me that a separate "teaching liability" policy should be added and then launched off on "waivers" which should be required for all students/participants. He says the national recommendation is a waiver that lists all (as many as you can think of) hazards individually with participant's initials at the end of each "hazard" sentence. Then a final caveat that "misuse of materials may cause injury/illness". Well, duh .... :roll: And my regular insurance company won't touch it .... so I would have to switch companies.

Yikes ... he scared me right out of thinking about ever teaching :!: Is this the "norm"? So my question to all you instructors out there .... is it so bad now that you have to have the students sign that they understand "there is a possibility of cutting oneself on sharp glass", that "there are hot temperatures involved and a possibility of burning oneself" .... and heaven help us, how about handling toxic substances. And how much does all this "liability coverage" cost in your part of the country? He's talking approx. $1,400 for a $1M umbrella policy.
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

I just went through this after being dumped by my old insurance company after I asked them for business insurance and they found out that I had kilns in my house... Anyway, I'm paying a little less than $1400 per year for coverage... liability, damage to work that is finished that is in my studio, and equipment. I asked about a waiver to my new agent and he said that anything you do like that would help you in court, oh and I am also covered if someone takes me to court and I win my defense costs are covered. So, I don't have teachers insurance but it's my understanding that my liability is covered and I do have a waiver.

Amy
lyndasglass

Post by lyndasglass »

Deb,
I have been teaching out of my studio for about 10 years. When I first started teaching I talked to an attorney and my insurance agent. I don't have teaching insurance, but what I have always done is; The first thing I cover in class is a list of safety procedures. I read through the list and explain each point. The student also gets a copy. I then have then sign a waiver that states that they read and understand the safety procedures, that they relize that there is an inherent risk to working with glass and toxic chemicals and that they accept the risk. That they will hold me as an instructor, any of my other instructors and my business blameless in the event of an injury.

Both the attorney and my insurance agent said they weren't sure if this document would hold up in court, but that it does show that the student was informed and that we have made a good faith effort to inform them of the risk. It is also VERY important that YOU as the instructor model safe practices. Watch for students that are doing things that are unsafe and stop the activity before it can lead to an accident.

No one was allowed to work in my studio without signing this document. This was standard procedure even for workshops. I have never had a problem in the 10 years I have been doing this (knock on wood).

My insurance agent did talk to me about what he called professional insurance. This was insurance that covered me if for example I build a window and it was installed in a front door and the window somehow broke or came apart and injured someone. The insurance would cover me for this but they would have to prove that I was negligent in the construction of the window. And it was because of my lack of professional skill or practice that was the cause of the injury. I chose not to get this type of coverage. In Oregon you have to have a contractors license to install, so I don't do the installations. I haven't ever had one of my windows spontaneously combusting and hurting someone, so I didn't think it was necessary. As a fuser, if I felt there was a risk of my glass work breaking, I might look into this.
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

When we taught stained glass, I also asked (politically incorrect though it may be) if any of our female students were pregnant. Due the the chemical risks, I refused to teach a pregnant lady. I lost a few people then...However, most of them returned later. I also heard that other schools were not informing them of the risks, which ended up to be a very favorable impression on them about our ethics. - Barbara
Dani

Post by Dani »

Even our community college doesn't keep pregnant women (and nursing mothers) out of glass, jewelry, and other art classes that use toxic substances. I've had to butt heads over it, good grief. And few teachers even bother to be concerned. This is another one of those areas where lack of professionalism (and common sense and maybe even basic IQ) is lacking. I agree 100%. They can wait until baby's older, no point in hurting the child.