Removing failed glue from silver finding

Post here with questions and topics relating to making glass jewelry.

Moderators: Tony Smith, Brad Walker

Marian

Removing failed glue from silver finding

Post by Marian »

I had a whole batch of 100 pairs of post earrings fail. The glue stayed on the sterling post. Any great ideas how to rescue the 5 mm sterling earring pad? I burned off glue in the kiln on some of them- the silver is now all white and dull, so that is a terrible solution.
Valerie Adams

Re: Removing failed glue from silver finding

Post by Valerie Adams »

What kind of glue? Have you tried soaking in Acetone?
Jodi Longobardo

Post by Jodi Longobardo »

Dremel tool with an abrasive bit? That's what I have used to get the glue off of both sterling and glass when needed. Just don't inhale the dust. That's if acetone doesn't work, since it is more labor intensive than just soaking in a solution and you have 100 pieces to do. Hope something works for you!

--jodi
dee

Post by dee »

what type of glue did you use?
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Marian

Post by Marian »

locktite Stick and Seal exterior glue dried for 24 hours over scuffed glass, New tube and used a sufficient amount. I was trying to avoid E6000.
Marian

Post by Marian »

I was able to rescue the silver findings with a few hours in a jewelry tumbler filled with stainless steel shot. They are nicely shiny again. I guess it's back to E6000. The much easier way as suggested- lacquer thinner melted the glue off instantly, wash well with detergent and hot water. The silver stays shiny, the glass is intact, now to reglue everything. :oops Thanks for your replies.
Alma Rands

Post by Alma Rands »

I tried Glass Metal &More with dismal results. Stuff is runny, and even after 5 days never set. All the bails came off, and the adhesive just peeled off the glass. Also one has to use it outdoors or in a well ventilated place as the fumes are reported to be very harmful. Best to avoid it.
So, it is back to E6000 for me which has always worked. I do rough the surface of the glass, and have never had a failure.