Earring Bails or Small Rings for Earring Wires

Post here with questions and topics relating to making glass jewelry.

Moderators: Tony Smith, Brad Walker

RachelM

Earring Bails or Small Rings for Earring Wires

Post by RachelM »

I often see people making earrings and they either have small bails glued onto them or some of them use some kind of small ring at the very top of the earring. I know I can buy small bails and glue so I am interested in the small rings that seem to be in the earring itself, and not glued on.

I tried using an eye-pin and cut it down to match my glass size but the earrings that were transparent showed some of the long part of the pin. I also did not use stainless steel eye pins but nickel ones and they disenegrated in the kiln.

So I am looking to use some tiny jump rings but not sure how I would get them to stay in the glass.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. I am going to look for a photo of what I am talking about but I am limited (technology impaired) in loading photos on this site at times.

Thanks all!

Rachel
imaglassydiva@aol.com
RachelM

Re: Earring Bails or Small Rings for Earring Wires

Post by RachelM »

fused glass earring.jpg
OK. I took this from the internet images page. Earrings are made by Gallery Five so I thank Gallery Five very much for letting me use their picture as an example.

There are tiny rings coming out the glass itself. Is that simply a stainless steel jump ring?

Thanks Gallery Five and thanks in advance for any answers.

Rachel
imaglassydiva@aol.com
Drewcilla

Post by Drewcilla »

I would think that any jump ring you use in transparent glass earring would show. I used some under dichro on clear and that's what happened. I didn't like the look.

I use .999 fine silver to make rings. Off hand I can't remember the gauge but I'd guess 18 or 20. I get it at my glass supplier. It fires and turns black but shines up very nicely after firing and stays that way. I just use round nose pliers to make a ring and fire between two layers with the top peeking out, of course. You can use a bit of 1/4 or 1/8 inch fiber paper to prop it up if it looks like the ring won't stay in place.
Drewcilla

Post by Drewcilla »

I forgot to say that many folks have had trouble using fine silver in their kilns. They say it can leave ugly marks on pieces in subsequent firings. They recommend using a shelf dedicated to using silver. I don't do that since I've never had a problem. But lots of people have warned against it so i thought I'd mention it. Who knows, next time I could have a problem.
RachelM

Post by RachelM »

Drewcilla wrote:I would think that any jump ring you use in transparent glass earring would show. I used some under dichro on clear and that's what happened. I didn't like the look.

I use .999 fine silver to make rings. Off hand I can't remember the gauge but I'd guess 18 or 20. I get it at my glass supplier. It fires and turns black but shines up very nicely after firing and stays that way. I just use round nose pliers to make a ring and fire between two layers with the top peeking out, of course. You can use a bit of 1/4 or 1/8 inch fiber paper to prop it up if it looks like the ring won't stay in place.

But doesn't the fine silver wire show as well if you are using it with transparent? Or do you just use it with opal or blacked back dicro only?

Thanks for the heads up about the silver. I have heard about that but was thinking it only applied in terms of silver foil. Did not even think about silver wire in the kiln.

Rachel
imaglassydiva@aol.com
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Just use some high temp wire. It "tarnishes" when fired, but can be cleaned up fairly easily.

But if you are trying to use it on transparent glass, yes, any kind of bail or wire is going to show (except for glass bails).

Dana W.
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

This is a little off topic, but for glue on Sterling bails, you can use necklace "plaques". These are the little (about 1/2 inch flat thingies available at most findings vendors. Also come in gold filled. Very inexpensive as they are quite thin. Far far less expensive than the earring bails sold out there.

Barry
RachelM

Post by RachelM »

Barry Kaiser wrote:This is a little off topic, but for glue on Sterling bails, you can use necklace "plaques". These are the little (about 1/2 inch flat thingies available at most findings vendors. Also come in gold filled. Very inexpensive as they are quite thin. Far far less expensive than the earring bails sold out there.

Barry
Thank you Barry...If I was searching for that, I guess I would use the term "necklace plaque"? Hopefully, that could be what I am looking for.....

Rachel
imaglassydiva@aol.com