Resize sterling silver ring with fused glass cabochons

Post here with questions and topics relating to making glass jewelry.

Moderators: Tony Smith, Brad Walker

Heapsy

Resize sterling silver ring with fused glass cabochons

Post by Heapsy »

Hi,

Can I resize a sterling silver ring with fused glass cabochon with out damage the glass? I mean the cabochon is attach with bezel and I meant to cut the ring to resize it and solder the ring while the glass is still on? any one can advice what can be done?
Also if you can help lets say my ring is 8 and I need to resize it to 7 how much do I need to cut off it?

Morganica

Re: Resize sterling silver ring with fused glass cabochons

Post by Morganica »

Unless you've done it before (and by the questions it seems you might not have), I'd take it to a jeweler and ask them to do it. They have the correct equipment, they can get the size right, and they can do it without damaging the stone. It's not that expensive, and it's much safer.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Heapsy

Post by Heapsy »

Morganica wrote:Unless you've done it before (and by the questions it seems you might not have), I'd take it to a jeweler and ask them to do it. They have the correct equipment, they can get the size right, and they can do it without damaging the stone. It's not that expensive, and it's much safer.
Thank you Cynthia, I havent resized rings (I did years ago) I made my self the ring with the bezel so I can do it just not sure how to do, cause I dont know how to protect the cabochon and also I am not sure who to make it to the right size, I will mange if I knew what I need to do, I learnt jewelry design and silversmith years ago and now im back to it, doing pretty good :D
Attachments
IMG_0034.JPG
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

For the time being, you could just add one of those ring guard things inside.
Heapsy

Post by Heapsy »

Thanks Valerie, but I am asking for a costumer that wants the ring so that will not help me :D (though I already shipped it but for next time)
Fiona Collins

Post by Fiona Collins »

to resize measure id of both rings and remove difference. If you remove from the back of the band you can place the ring cab down in a small bowl of water (i use a crucible with steel shot in the bottom to hold the ring steady and enough water to cover the stone) then solder closed. Or Rio sell a masking gel you can use to retard the heat sink ...