a non speed bump pendant???

Post here with questions and topics relating to making glass jewelry.

Moderators: Tony Smith, Brad Walker

cheryl kumiski

a non speed bump pendant???

Post by cheryl kumiski »

Can anyone give me some insight as to how to create pendants with fiber channels that do not have speed bumps where the channel goes through? The pendant is one level, one smooth, even surface.
Forgive me if this has been answered and answered again in previous posts. I could not find it...
All the best to all....
Valerie Adams

Re: a non speed bump pendant???

Post by Valerie Adams »

The easiest way is to simply layer your glass with the center-most layer having a void for the fiber paper to sit. When I was making those kind of pendants they were always 3-4 layers thick.
cheryl kumiski

Post by cheryl kumiski »

not quite sure what you mean by layer it with the center. pendants have at least 4 layers but i've always gotten a speed bump. please explain???
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Have your base layer be a single piece of glass.

Cut a center layer piece an 1/8" shorter than the height of your pendant. Make a horizontal cut 1/4" from the top of your middle layer piece, cutting it in two pieces, and lay the two pieces onto the bottom layer, leaving an 1/8" horizontal channel 1/4" down from the top of your pendant.

Place your fiber material in the empty channel (I use an 1/8th inch strip of fiber, which is why I leave an 1/8" empty channel).

Layer another piece of glass or two on top.

Now, all three or four layers are completely flat, instead of humped up over the fiber like you've done in the past.

I like this technique best because it doesn't result in the glass pulling in on the fiber, making hourglass shaped pendants like you see so often. The beauty of this method is you can make big slabs of glass with long fiber channels, fired it all at once, and then chop up with your saw or by hand. Leave the fiber in place and firepolish.
cheryl kumiski

Post by cheryl kumiski »

why thank you. i will certainly give it a try...