Lamp worked rondels and other 2D forms

Post here with questions and topics relating to making glass jewelry.

Moderators: Tony Smith, Brad Walker

Barbara Elmore

Re: Lamp worked rondels and other 2D forms

Post by Barbara Elmore »

A simple rondel can easily be created as a pot drop. Search craft stores for smaller clay pots, and increase the hole in the bottom by simply reaming the existing hole out with closed scissors pointed up into the pot and twisting the scissors back and forth until you get a hole size that is acceptable to you. Half to 3/4 fill the pot with scrap glass and proceed as you would for a drop. Easy!
Thanks, Barbara Hale Elmore

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement" Indian Proverb
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Interesting, Barbara. I wouldn't know one hole size from another, but it sounds like I should expect to find a larger one more acceptable than the one that the pot was born with. I may try that with some scrap clear antique. I have a lot of it.
Barbara Elmore

Post by Barbara Elmore »

In the first firing, some of the glass will remain in the pot. Weigh your glass and the pot before you fire, and then weigh your rondel afterwards. That should give you a good idea of how much glass will produce X size rondel when you need one that is a bit more exacting. Not high tec science, but it seems to work out pretty close, good guess, etc! :)
Thanks, Barbara Hale Elmore

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement" Indian Proverb
Melodie

Post by Melodie »

I'm late to this conversation but wanted to add to it. :)

Yes, you can easily create round 2" pieces in the torch to add to stained glass. You need to use a Cabachon madrel like this one:

It's just a disc welded onto a mandrel. The mandrel runs all the way through the disc leaving a little tip at the top that helps to keep the glass from coming loose while torching.

You dip the mandrel in bead release then create your design. You do have to grind the release off the back and since it would be exposed on both sides you might want to grind it down past the little divet that's made by the mandrel. This is one of my favorite cabs created on these types of mandrels.

Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Very cool
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

That's gorgeous, Melodie. Jen