cremains pieces

Post here with questions and topics relating to making glass jewelry.

Moderators: Tony Smith, Brad Walker

dmiller1536

cremains pieces

Post by dmiller1536 »

I have recently had quite a few requests for fused cremains pendants, bolos, etc. The ones I have done have come out beautifully and I would like to find a way to market them. How are any of you marketing? I do not feel comfortable advertising someone else's loved ones pieces. Thanks in advance!
Buttercup

Re: cremains pieces

Post by Buttercup »

Your question has gone unanswered for some time by anyone who might know the answer, so I'll make a suggestion.

I have no experience in the field you are talking about but simply wonder if you can make a piece of jewellery for yourself in the style of the pieces you would like to market and use that as your sample to display?
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

Try to connect with funeral homes and see if they are interested in providing this option to clients. They already are marketing items like urns, so a piece of jewelry might also be of interest. Of course, you will then be in "business" and need samples, schedules for delivery, and sharing the money with the funeral home. From my experiences with funeral homes, nothing is inexpensive, so you would probably still make your current price and their profit would come from an additional mark-up. Once people see your work, other family members might also contact you for an item of their own.

If this is truly going to be a commercial path for you, I do not think you would either desire or have the time to meet with each client. Having been through the funeral and probate processes twice for my wife's parents, it would be easier to purchase a memento at the time of selecting all other items and not so easy later in the midst of probate, wills, disposal of personal property, interacting with relatives, etc. Good luck.
Last edited by Lynn Perry on Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynn Perry
Marty

Post by Marty »

i know you're looking for business advice (check out Milon Townsend's books for that) and not an emotional reaction but all I can think of is "ick". A lot of glass blowers have been dealing with that (dead people's ashes, not "ick")- it can be lucrative.

Is Wendy Rosen's Art Business Institute still running? They'd have info too.