sanding edges of drilled holes

Post here with questions and topics relating to making glass jewelry.

Moderators: Tony Smith, Brad Walker

lcools

sanding edges of drilled holes

Post by lcools »

Hi,

I've been drilling holes in my glass jewellery with 2mm diamond bits with a drill press for some years. Each piece usually goes through the kiln afterwards and so the edges are softened. However, I run into a issue when I want to drill pieces that cannot go back into the kiln. Inevitably there is some chipping on the edges and for these pieces I need the edges clean and chip free.

My method has been to drill the initial hole with a smaller bit and then use a diamond burr of some shape. However, these burrs are never top quality and never fine enough. The results are mixed.

I also have a rotary tool but am not familiar with all of the attachments and their uses. I'm wondering if there is something similar to that black wet or dry sandpaper that might be in a useful cone or ball shape for sanding the edges? Or if there are other suggestions. Otherwise I may just try to do it manually. #-o

Thanks for any help!
Leila
Lynn Perry

Re: sanding edges of drilled holes

Post by Lynn Perry »

Leila, one trick I use, recommended by a lapidarist, is to drill the first hole all the way through with a 1mm bit. Next, use a 2mm bit and drill about 60% through from the side which will be showing when the piece is finished. Then flip the piece over and drill about 60% through from the backside. You will then have a nice hole with minimal or no chipping depending on the glass and how carefully you drilled. The hole will still look opaque, and I don't know how to make it look clear other than fire-polishing which you said you can't do. Perhaps someone else knows a way to polish the inside of the hole.
Lynn Perry
Joyce Walters

Post by Joyce Walters »

Just my paranoia about breakage, but running your pieces back thru a kiln firing is so much stronger. And I get no returns on jewelry with a well annealed hole.
Joyce
lcools

Post by lcools »

Thanks Lynn for the tip. I also need the edges to be slightly rounded so that they will be less likely to chip with a jump ring and won't cut through a neck cord...but I think the idea of drilling first with a smaller bit will probably at least reduce the are to clean up and perhaps cause less stress to the glass(?).

Joyce, I am sure that you are right! It's just not possible for this series of pieces.

In the meantime, I am looking for cone shaped sanding bits. I found a silicone carbide tip with a rounded tip but it still looks too course. I'm having trouble finding a fine tip and small enough or appropriately shaped cone tip. Perhaps there are too few applications for such an items.
Joyce Walters

Post by Joyce Walters »

Hi again. Do you have a good bead store where you live? They almost certainly have an account with Beadsmith and can get you a manual reamer (~$22.) or an electric reamer, (~$34.) The different diamond coated reamer bits are included.
One is 45° angle coated round bit.
Looks like tiny sharp pointed hat.
If you are going to file alot of holes buy the electric.
Also could buy just the 45°angle diamond coated round bits in bulk that you could use in a Dremel or drill press with small collet. Call me if you need help finding them. 406-642-3119. Iwill order.
lcools

Post by lcools »

Thanks Joyce! I've used the diamond ball bits and tear drop bits in the drill press but it's really been hit or miss finding the right size, shape, grit, quality. I like the idea of the bead reamer because I can do them on demand and not in a batch. Also, I bet the rpm is much less than the dremel which would be a good thing. I would never had known that one could get 45 degree bits for a reamer. I have found some online.

If you can recommend a good supplier for diamond ball burrs, I'd love to know.

Thanks so much for the info!
Leila
Joyce Walters

Post by Joyce Walters »

Check with Kingsley North. I bought their small drill press years ago and love that size, and their many diamond bits.
lcools

Post by lcools »

Thank you Joyce! Checking them out now...
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Check out Lopacki Diamonds and ebay seller LAU***
Both good sellers of diamond products.

Barry
lcools

Post by lcools »

Thank you! Barry. Found both:)
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

Barry Kaiser wrote:Check out Lopacki Diamonds and ebay seller LAU***
Both good sellers of diamond products.

Barry
Daniel Lopacki no longer sells drill bits. When I contacted him last year, he recommended LAU***, and I purchased from them. Their bits are good with lots of diamond, but the wire is so long that the 1mm ones bend and tend to be difficult to start the hole without wandering across the surface of the glass. The solution was to shorten the wire using a wire cutter.
Lynn Perry
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Thanks Lynn,
Didn't know Dan quit selling the bits. He had lots of diamond items at very reasonable prices.
About 5 years ago I bought a lifetime (and my kids lifetimes) supply of 1.25mm bits.

I have a very easy and accurate way to drill the holes. No mess or skating across the surface. Uses a ball bit to start the hole and then dril away.
pendant3429.jpg
Check out the tutorial on my website below.

Barry
lcools

Post by lcools »

Thanks Lynn, "Lots of diamond" sounds great. I'm currently using Tripple Ripples and they are worth the price when they work but unfortunately there are duds randomly spread through the inventory. Looks like most of the diamond misses the tip every 3 or 4 bits.

Barry, thank you for reminding me about using the ball bit first. Why have to clean up the chipped edge when you can just avoid it in the first place:)