credit where credit is due

This forum focuses on the artistic "why" and "what" more than the technical "how". Put more philosophical (but still art and glass related) posts here.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Ann Demko

credit where credit is due

Post by Ann Demko »

I am in the process of designing an outdoor sculpture which will be metal and glass. I will design all components of the piece but will need help cutting some of the design elements and welding the pieces together. There will be several people involved and I would like advice on how one or does one give credit to fellow tradespersons so vital in bringing my ideas to life. Ann
Marty

Re: credit where credit is due

Post by Marty »

I think it depends on where you're giving credit. You sign the piece. You can thank those people on your website, in interviews (if time permits) and in print (ditto- if it's a short blurb, you won't have room for it).
Ann Demko

Post by Ann Demko »

thanks marty
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

tradesmen just want the money. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Marty

Post by Marty »

Some of them actually get excited about what they're working on and appreciate the credit too.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

There are no hard fast rules, so you can decide where and how you choose to give credit.

I once did a collaborative stained glass window with a well known artist. He surprised and honored me when he asked me to sign it. I did not expect recognition, as he was the artist, and the image was all his. The other side of the coin was that it took my vision and skillset to make it happen.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I've certainly heard from a lot of glassists irritated that the other artist didn't credit them for their part. I think my irritation level would depend on whether the work is collaborative or "by direction."

I occasionally cast glass for other sculptors, sometimes a very difficult proposition. If all I've done is work from the artist's model, they're specifying the colors and final appearance, and I'm changing their wax/clay only where necessary to facilitate casting...it's the artist's work, not mine, and I wouldn't expect credit. (A thank you would be nice, but as long as there's money involved it's not essential)

If, however, I'm sculpting the model too, or designing the colors/patterns/detail, and suggesting ways to make the glass sections better fit the artist's intent, then I consider it a collaboration. I either want credit or a lot more money. ;-)
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Morganica wrote:I either want credit or a lot more money. ;-)
And, ideally, both.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Someone who is welding and grinding something to a plan is a tool not a co-creator and if he is in business as a tradesman he will not miss out on a paycheck.

peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Jeanne

Post by Jeanne »

You make craftsmen sound like machines. Everyone wants credit/appreciation for a job well done. Maybe it won't be formal, I understand that, but talking about people's work like it's nothing it insensitive.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

How many tradesmen do you know? peace, haydo
Jeanne

Post by Jeanne »

I know human nature. People like to be appreciated for the work they do. And I know a lot of tradespeople. My father and grandfather were tradesmen - and damn good ones.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

I'm a tradesman, and I get paid to get the job done without the fuss. If I was to do work for someone else it would be a personal thing. I don't waste time fretting about getting a pat on the back, I am not precious like that. peace, haydo (my opinion, I'm not asking for agreement)
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Jeanne wrote:You make craftsmen sound like machines. Everyone wants credit/appreciation for a job well done. Maybe it won't be formal, I understand that, but talking about people's work like it's nothing it insensitive.
I don't think anyone was suggesting that a tradesman's work was nothing or that they were machines. The question was whether they should be formally, publicly credited for their work, and how that should be done. Credit isn't the same as "appreciation for a job well done."
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Jeanne

Post by Jeanne »

Morganica wrote:
Jeanne wrote:You make craftsmen sound like machines. Everyone wants credit/appreciation for a job well done. Maybe it won't be formal, I understand that, but talking about people's work like it's nothing it insensitive.
I don't think anyone was suggesting that a tradesman's work was nothing or that they were machines. The question was whether they should be formally, publicly credited for their work, and how that should be done. Credit isn't the same as "appreciation for a job well done."
Haydo wrote:Someone who is welding and grinding something to a plan is a tool not a co-creator....

peace, haydo
I thought that statement was cold. As I said previously, I understand that recognition might not be formal. I was only addressing Haydo's remark (referring to a tradesperson as a "tool") which I have quoted above. I guess I should have placed the quote with my response so it was clear.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Well . . . maybe it's cold, but it's accurate. If you employ a tradesperson to execute your design, they shouldn't get a credit. A big thanks perhaps, but not a credit. If they educate you in what can and cannot be done in their area of expertise, if they work with you to change, or better, your design, then they should get a credit. I have used many tradespeople and sometimes they're a tool, and sometimes they're a collaborator. Huge difference . . .
Ann Demko

Post by Ann Demko »

Thank you all for your perspectives. I love it! Ann
Michele gh

Post by Michele gh »

If the trades person simply executes my design, I pay them, and thank them.
If the trades person enhances my design, through discussions prior to fabrication, I pay them, thank them, and mention them in the credits.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

Brock wrote:Well . . . maybe it's cold, but it's accurate. If you employ a tradesperson to execute your design, they shouldn't get a credit. A big thanks perhaps, but not a credit. If they educate you in what can and cannot be done in their area of expertise, if they work with you to change, or better, your design, then they should get a credit. I have used many tradespeople and sometimes they're a tool, and sometimes they're a collaborator. Huge difference . . .
oh brock... dont be a tool... heh. sorry i just could not not say that. rosanna, occasional tool.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

WHen I worked for a bronze sculptor he allowed all who worked on it to sign(basically scratch) our names on a surface where it wasn't readily seen - usually this was the underside where it would never be seen unless taken off of it's plinth. My hands (big bass player paws) were cast and attached to WIlliam Ford Jr.'s body on one piece. Credit enough for me. :lol:
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.