Chihuly App

This forum focuses on the artistic "why" and "what" more than the technical "how". Put more philosophical (but still art and glass related) posts here.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Sharol

Chihuly App

Post by Sharol »

It certainly is amazing what those clever application designers are coming up with these days.

Sharol

http://gizmodo.com/5978341/blow-this-ch ... lowing-app
Marty

Re: Chihuly App

Post by Marty »

absolute waste of time and energy.

imho
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Best thing about the link was the comments below the article.
Risa

Post by Risa »

While I am cynical about his current business, on some level I do have to respect his ability to exploit his marketing to become a viable global brand. If people continue to buy, why shouldn't he take advantage? He's merely extending his brand once again.

So where are the Chihuly-brand hot air balloons (limited market) or better yet, the Chihuly-brand balloon guys at kid's birthday parties and amusement parks (huge market potential) ? Just think of the potential royalties from licensing his name/image?

While he surely doesn't need our help, what viable brand extensions can you think of?
Brock

Post by Brock »

Clowns. He already has the hair . . .
peter cummings

Post by peter cummings »

Geee, I thought that had been around here for years.
Peter.
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Is it still true that Dale Chihuly hasn't touched an actual piece of glass in years and he's more of a pirate captain figurehead directing his little glass gnomes here and there?
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

S.TImmerman wrote:Is it still true that Dale Chihuly hasn't touched an actual piece of glass in years and he's more of a pirate captain figurehead directing his little glass gnomes here and there?
That's my story. :twisted:
Brock

Post by Brock »

Sometimes he's off continent when the work is made.
I guess that's better than being incontinent . . .
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Brock. Your post is the first on this board that ever made me laugh out loud. Great "relief" for this 5 hour flight.
katesaunders

Post by katesaunders »

So this guy is moving his piece of glass by Chilhuly but has to stop at the store along the way. He's in the store for ten minutes and suddenly panics..."Oh no! I left my
car unlocked!!". He rushes out and sure enough, there are now three Chilhuly's in his back seat.

Sorry, this joke is really old but maybe some of you hadn't heard it yet.
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

=D>
Janet McFadyen

Post by Janet McFadyen »

I do not like or admire much that Chihuly has done in the past 10 yrs. but I still admire what he did for the North American modern glass movement. He was one of the 4-5 or maybe 10 pioneers of the the whole movement that we have today. He is/was an artist in his own right, who now is a successful company that pukes out big glass.
facebook artist page @ Janet McFadyen's Glass
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Who was instrumental in giving us Pilchuck? Jen
Sharol

Post by Sharol »

Exactly.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Latest "Art Glass" magazine shows yet another glass maker blatently copying Chihuly. I think jealousy of Dale's work and accomplishments accounts for most of the negative comments!
"The Glassman"
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

After reading this I thought I chirp in on the Studio Movement vs Old World Glass Guilds. I am studying to be a docent at the Museum of Glass in Tacoma. Before I decided to do this I did not know about the Studio Movement. Until the Studio Movement glass was made/worked/sold by and in guilds. There a designer would design the work. The gaffer would execute it. Glass was worked this way for hundreds of years. The Studio Movement began in the 50's when two men, Domnick Labino and Harvey Littleton got together and began by making glass beads that could be easily melted down (not requiring large glory holes) and building small kilns that would fit in a studio, rather than large ones that were used by guilds/industry. It was here in America that this movement began and the artist became the "maker", rather than using a gaffer. The studio movement is why we can work in our own studios and share information as we so readily do. Prior to the Studio Movement glass working procedures were closely held secrets. The information was not shared. You would never find a guild tradesman sharing a firing schedule, glass formula, procedure or patterns. You may like Dale's work or may not, but he has done much for the glass artists around the world. There is a "brotherhood" (ladies don't get your hackles up, I mean it in a general way... including women) among the glass blowers and to a lesser degree among kiln formers, that has at its roots in the sharing of a "secret" and the bolstering that the praise of your admired contemporaries can give you. I think THAT is one of the secrets of this board. We share, we bolster, we promote those worthy, we treat one another with respect. We are like the guilds of yore... a refuge from those who do not care about our art form, but better. We are an open group that will share our secrets. Let us celebrate that. (Anyone have some tequila?)
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

Back to the OP . . . .
A. It's basic entertainment. Different strokes for different folks. A kid would probably love it.
B. It isn't going to transfer easily to any physical world creation so yeah, point "A" above.
C. It might inspire some people to try out the real thing. :shock:
D. Might not be a terrible way to show someone, "something like this, in this color". Like a doodle on a napkin. :wink:
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.