Using glass in children's projects

This forum focuses on the artistic "why" and "what" more than the technical "how". Put more philosophical (but still art and glass related) posts here.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Mark Hall

Using glass in children's projects

Post by Mark Hall »

Children's museum is looking for ideas to use glass in hands-on projects for children, ages 2-12. I realize this is a challenge that may require prep-work ahead of time to make it safer. Any ideas?
JestersBaubles

Re: Using glass in children's projects

Post by JestersBaubles »

Decorate wine bottles (or cheap clear glass plates), with glass pebbles & mosaic them (can mosaic be used as a verb?)

Precut clear tiles, let kids decorate with scrap glass and fuse. Similarly, get some glass lines paints and let them paint (or stamp) the tiles then fuse.

Dana W.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Mark- check the archives, lots of us have done kid's programs and written about them. The only caveat to using precut tiles is to give the edges a light sanding before- that's where the cuts will come from.
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I try to stay away from kids as much as possible :twisted:

But when I've had my very young niece here, I used lots of bits of scrap that I'd done a quick fire polish on.

I'd also recommend doses of Benedryl before class but that's just me.
Studiodunn

Post by Studiodunn »

My heart is moving in the direction of teaching children as well and I have come across some great resources for ideas out there:

http://www.bergstrom-mahlermuseum.com/i ... ators.html

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/kidsandglass/

http://www.brazeestreetstudios.com/home/classes.html/

http://www.fusions-idaho.com/page8.html

Sarah Givens from Bullseye also shared with me via email the following:

In dealing with kids, and depending on the age group, studios usually limit the glass options/colors, and sometimes elements are pre-cut and/or pre-fired. Like using coarse frits, instead of powder/fine frits. And having pre-cut blanks so the kids are just assembling is helpful.
“I would rather die than hate you.”
- Martin Luther King
Mark Hall

Post by Mark Hall »

Unfortunately we don't have access or time with kilns, and the kids would like to take their projects home right after they make them. This makes the task a lot more challenging, and most likely less permanent a project.
Marty

Post by Marty »

then why does it have to be glass?
Mark Hall

Post by Mark Hall »

Is it your contention if we cannot follow protocal 'properly' using glass, it should be left alone? Why use glass, because I'm a craftsman wanting to promote the beauty of glass.

I think it's worth having a discussion about, keeping the integrity of our trade. Why have we been able to purchase 'Tiffany' styled lamps in discount stores? Why are my charges more than the cost of stained glass windows at Menards? Why is almost everyone using copper foil to make immitation leaded stained glass windows? Why not just glue all our parts together - oh, but it makes it OK if we use the most expensive glue? I've seen some apply house paint on mirrors formed into a pretend 'stained glass window' (which is going too far imho). I'm all in favor of following rules - but over the years, the rules have changed.

Crushed glass, nuggets, & shards siliconed onto a clear tile or votive candle isn't that far off - for children's crafts. I've instructed a 5 yr. old making a bead on a hothead torch, but don't think they want a flame at the children's museum. We do what we can.
Marty

Post by Marty »

I think you're getting a bit off-topic. The museum wants glass projects but there's no equipment available and the kids "need" to take the stuff home immediately.
Yes, you could have them glue stuff or paint stuff, string beads or windchimes- will that satisfy the "glass" component? If so, go for it.

I assumed that you were asking about kilnwork. I did about 350 kids' worth of suncatchers in my son's elementary school (in one month lo these many years ago). There were demos (a baby kiln at 1500F gets their attention really fast!) and short talks on history and art and safety and technique; the kids cut (yes, even the kindergarteners) and glued, I took them home and fired and brought them back.
Studiodunn

Post by Studiodunn »

I have recently been invited to introduce a glassy project to a Middle School "Art Club" through a local school district. I have put off getting business insurance but am thinking that it would be critically important to have some in place before teaching kids. I'm quite paranoid about all the "what if" scenarios that are unlikely to play out, but still a possibility.
“I would rather die than hate you.”
- Martin Luther King
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Children, Kids, Glass shards, 1500F, Torch flames??? some things should NOT appear in the same space!!
"The Glassman"
Marty

Post by Marty »

Give the kids some credit! There were shards and pieces in trays, they used popsicle sticks to search through and find what they wanted. They broke stringers to size.
They scored and broke glass into usable pieces. No accidents, no cuts, lots of excitement but full attention to the safety talk at the start of the class.

Give me some credit too- the edges of the blanks were sanded. The kids were kept at a safe distance from the kiln and when I took the hot glass out and stretched it they were not offered the chance to try it themselves. I was the only one to need a bandaid.
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

Old thread but I couldn't resist. We crush and cast many of our failures into various hand sized trinkets - sunfaces, butterflies, flowers, feathers, etc. My wife gives them away as an incentive in her school store (teacher) and we have our grandkids paint them with Glassline when visiting. Stuff that size doesn't thermal shock easily so usually we can do a 2-2.5 hour turn around in the Caldera. Kids love a glass trinket. 10 yr. old grand-daughter wanted to try a frit painting so I got this stencil and assisted her with the powder vibe and cellulose gel - present for her 4 year old brother.
bear1.jpg
I think with a some precautions glass and children can certainly be brought together (granted I have raised 4 plus 3 steps so my sanity has been seriously taxed). Mosaic chips that have been tumbled would be a fairly safe one too. And all the suggestions of pre-cuts and decorating bottles. They're kids, you don't have to create the next Dale Chihuly in one day. :lol:

Larger group: do a class one day, have them come back another day the following week for a pickup and "ooooh, ahhh" session. Kids are not THAT impatient, really. If they are lacking patience this is a good experience at developing it.
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

Water jet cut glass items we brushed with CMC and then powdered with frit and fired, a few hundred beads made from small cut or grozed scraps and some larger frit. Add 17 adults and children after Christmas dinner . Add some Elmer's glue, wood toothpicks paperplates and a few colors of Glassline. Fuse. Bails attached with E6000 the next morning and we had happy campers.
It can be done. :)

*Tip: have your participants work on paper plates they have written their name on, then photograph each plate before loading kiln. Makes for less confusion on who did what. #-o
Attachments
cookies.jpg
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.