Ted Talk - Art vs Craft

This forum focuses on the artistic "why" and "what" more than the technical "how". Put more philosophical (but still art and glass related) posts here.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Don Burt

Ted Talk - Art vs Craft

Post by Don Burt »

Rick Wilton posted this in Spabs Place. It might provoke some discussion here. It will certainly get at least one more comment from me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVdw60e ... e=youtu.be
Don Burt

Re: Ted Talk - Art vs Craft

Post by Don Burt »

The Cremonese violin makers attained sort of a rock star status in the 18th century, even during their own time. Decorative craft had an interesting resurgence in the late 19th century, presumably in rejection of the industrial revolution. I'm thinking our recurrent attraction toward craft goes deeper than that though. There's a Jungian archetype in there somewhere, somewhere between or not covered by the Magician and the Lover. Lofty and noble concepts notwithstanding, I think we're still pretty tickled about the way our species developed hands and fingers.

Did anyone else enjoy the the book 'The Violin Maker' by John Marchese?
Nina Falk

Re: Ted Talk - Art vs Craft

Post by Nina Falk »

the Cremonese violin makers succeeded in two fields at once---acoustics and craft. you can have an instrument that looks gorgeous and sounds terrible, and one that looks terrible and sounds great. they did both, and the results have lasted and lasted.