Delphi Glass Catalog

This forum focuses on the artistic "why" and "what" more than the technical "how". Put more philosophical (but still art and glass related) posts here.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Greg Rawls

Delphi Glass Catalog

Post by Greg Rawls »

I received the latest Delphi Glass catalog. Never bought from them but I though I'd take a look. Imagine my surprise when I got to page 18 and say a photograph of a piece of my glass art "Jonkonnu." No credits, no permission asked or given. Interesting point is several years ago this same photo was published in Brad Walker's book Contemporary Fused Glass. Of course Brad asked and was given permission. Thoughts?????
Greg
JestersBaubles

Re: Delphi Glass Catalog

Post by JestersBaubles »

The same thing happened to me with a Uroboros newsletter this past year. They were advertising an upcoming roll-up class and I was really surprised to see that they had used a picture of a vase of mine (roll-up done by Ryan Staub).

I contacted them and said, "While I would have gladly granted permission for the photo to be used, I would have appreciated being asked and I would have also liked credit for the work." And I pointed them to the blog post I'd done where the photo had been "lifted" http://jestersbaubles.blogspot.com/2014 ... ll-up.html

The apologized profusely for the mistake -- they thought it was a vase that Patty Gray had done since it was in a "Patty" folder on their computer (Patty was out of town, apparently, and they did not question the photo). They sent a few jars of frit to appease me.

They never did, however, publish a retraction to the newsletter giving me credit for the work, which is what I really wanted.

Dana W.
roll-up vase - uro newsletter.JPG
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

BTW, That's a lovely piece, Greg. I was able to find it on "Pinterest".

I hope they at least credited you.

Dana
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

This is the piece Delphi Glass used without permission - "Jonkonnu"
Attachments
Jonkonnu.jpg
Greg
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

Nice piece. Sucks that delphi lifted the image. R.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

I live 40-ish miles from Delphi - I've vowed to only go there again in some dire emergency or if I feel I need to dig thru the sheets of glass to find that perfect one for a project.
Prices are fairly high - there are others that will frequently do better on anything Delphi sells, imo (D &L, Sundance, Slumpys,..). If you work in COE 90, consider saving your pennies for a large order from Bullseye - that 50% discount really adds up nicely. Delphi is basically charging Bullseye's list price. And they don't carry the full line of Bullseye colors in frit, stringers, noodles, rods or sheet.
:evil: I really detest their order system: they send you an email that something was shipped but it doesn't say WHAT. Sure, there is an "order number" on the email, but that is an internal number for their shipping department, but doesn't relate to your order number in any fashion - totally different digits. Even in your accounts "Orders", it doesn't indicate what was shipped, when it was shipped and what if anything is/was back-ordered. #-o

Oh - went to one of their "first big sale of the year" events. They has a sign distinctly saying "KL boards, X amount off." I took it home, hideous smell, far beyond fiber cloth binders at about 800f - had to throw open the doors. And crumbly as all. I contacted Pietra Kaiser and she told me they have never sold their board through Delphi. I've bought some KL board straight from Pietra and it's not what I was sold by Delphi. :evil:
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.