Sharing studio space with friend or significant other? Horror or heaven?

This forum focuses on the artistic "why" and "what" more than the technical "how". Put more philosophical (but still art and glass related) posts here.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Ed Cantarella

Sharing studio space with friend or significant other? Horror or heaven?

Post by Ed Cantarella »

My lovely wife and I share "the space". I was a watch-smith for about 20 years and it used to be "my space". We had some pains at first. We each now have our designated tasks and enough kilns that we don't "kiln block" one another without asking the other if that is going to interrupt their work flow.
Your turn.
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.
JestersBaubles

Re: Sharing studio space with friend or significant other? Horror or heaven?

Post by JestersBaubles »

It is just my husband and me. We have a 4000 ft2 house and three-car garage (it's Utah -- real estate is relatively cheap). I've taken over a lot of the basement and would love to kick him out of the garage :mrgreen: He doesn't do wood-working, glass, etc., but he has "toys" (motorcycle and an ultralight), and we both have our vehicles, road and mountain bikes, and the usual lawn mower, snow blower, yard and garden stuff, etc etc etc...

What we really need is a much smaller house and two very large garages. I think what would be ideal is a big barn with a loft. Each of us could take a wing in the barn and we would live in the loft :).

But no, I don't even llke someone else in the kitchen when I'm cooking. I sure couldn't deal with him in my studio.

Dana W.
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

JestersBaubles wrote:It is just my husband and me. We have a 4000 ft2 house and three-car garage (it's Utah -- real estate is relatively cheap). I've taken over a lot of the basement and would love to kick him out of the garage :mrgreen: He doesn't do wood-working, glass, etc., but he has "toys" (motorcycle and an ultralight), and we both have our vehicles, road and mountain bikes, and the usual lawn mower, snow blower, yard and garden stuff, etc etc etc...

What we really need is a much smaller house and two very large garages. I think what would be ideal is a big barn with a loft. Each of us could take a wing in the barn and we would live in the loft :).

But no, I don't even llke someone else in the kitchen when I'm cooking. I sure couldn't deal with him in my studio.

Dana W.
Cooking in the kitchen :lol: - we have an island which creates an "L", my line is "stay out of L(hell), or there WILL be L". Just way things have went, I've always been the family cook, I host most of the (large, 7 kids) family events - I am a great cook. SO LEAVE ME ALONE! We have a house almost that big in a rural area and we use about 300 sq. ft of our walk-out basement for the glass and kilns - I'm a musician(bass player) and have a small recording studio in most of the rest.

BOT(back on topic) - our earliest growing pain was in reasonable division of labor. I set up all the gear, I do all the washing of the molds and shelves, I purchase the materials and am the one that studies new techniques and materials, practices them and then teach to my wife. She thinks I bark at her but yeah, I expect her to vacuum the room and straighten it up at least once a week. We have an 8' general table with 2 grinders, a Gryphon saw and a small lap grinder, then we each have our own 4' wide area at each end of that(not part of the 8' table). The separation is perfect and now that we have gone from 3 kilns to 5 we should rarely get in each other's way. When we just had the 3 I would sometimes come home from work and throw something into all 3 of them. Kiln Blocked! :lol: We have 2-3 of most hand tools and by color we know whos is whos. :wink:
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.
Judd

Post by Judd »

In college, the pottery studio was a collective and I really enjoyed that. We seemed to feed off of each other's creativity. My new boyfriend, god bless his little heart, doesn't have an artistic bone in his body, but he wants to learn. I think I'll enjoy sharing a studio with him.
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

Judd wrote:In college, the pottery studio was a collective and I really enjoyed that. We seemed to feed off of each other's creativity. My new boyfriend, god bless his little heart, doesn't have an artistic bone in his body, but he wants to learn. I think I'll enjoy sharing a studio with him.
Maybe he will bring other skills to the mix. And having someone who is a newbie means you'll get questioned a lot on "why/why not" - it can be good for the "teacher" to consider "why/why not" too. 8) Alternately, it could result in a gruesome headline. :lol: I'll pray for you. :)
Judd

Post by Judd »

He has a business degree with 25+ years in hotel/restaurant/ medical office management. We're going to have fun.
;-)
Joyce Walters

Post by Joyce Walters »

I am glad for you people who have people to share ideas and the workload.
But also jealous because the sharing of ideas and designs start flying thru the space and crackle with energy.
What a happy time when other glass friends spend a day!
Joyce