Is an art degree necessary for you to be or become an "artist"?

This forum focuses on the artistic "why" and "what" more than the technical "how". Put more philosophical (but still art and glass related) posts here.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Ed Cantarella

Is an art degree necessary for you to be or become an "artist"?

Post by Ed Cantarella »

I was inspired (provoked?) by the the post regarding the James Renwick Alliance's Chrysalis Award. "The artist must have completed a four-year academic program or equivalent training within the past 5 years." Darn, got that computer science degree back in '92! Seemed unduly stuffy to me. IMO a degree doesn't make you an artist any more than going to McDonalds makes you a hamburger. :lol:
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.
Don Burt

Re: Is an art degree necessary for you to be or become an "artist"?

Post by Don Burt »

They're looking for a specific type of artist at a certain point in what is supposed to be an art career (heh). There are other prereq's for this exhibition besides the one you mentioned. I don't think anyone, including the Renwick Alliance would declare that their prereqs are necessary for one to be labeled an artist. However it is widely known that a beret and eyepatch go a long way to cementing the label firmly, allowing you to use pompous French adjectives to describe your technique and aesthetic.
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

Don Burt wrote:They're looking for a specific type of artist at a certain point in what is supposed to be an art career (heh). There are other prereq's for this exhibition besides the one you mentioned. I don't think anyone, including the Renwick Alliance would declare that their prereqs are necessary for one to be labeled an artist. However it is widely known that a beret and eyepatch go a long way to cementing the label firmly, allowing you to use pompous French adjectives to describe your technique and aesthetic.
:lol:

Thank you Don. You know, I wouldn't qualify for other reasons but the (imo) stuffiness of it kind of struck me. I guess they want to breed another generation of this mind set.
*I helped my oldest daughter(27) get a fine arts degree from Columbia in Chicago. She fully supports herself off her art, I see why she has avoided this entire clustering of 'artists'. Thanks to Al Gore's Internet it can be done. :)
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Ed Cantarella wrote: "The artist must have completed a four-year academic program or equivalent training within the past 5 years."
"Or equivalent training." Interpret how you wish and give it your best shot. All they can do is say No.

And regarding your question... someday I may go back and get an art degree (once I am untethered from the day job). We all have gaps in knowledge -- I have big holes when it comes to a lot of the basics like design principle. Not that it will automatically make me a better artist, but it couldn't hurt.

:mrgreen: Dana W.
Judd

Post by Judd »

Art degrees aren't necessary for anything unless you plan to do education.
If you can make Cool, you can be successful at selling art.
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

Judd wrote:Art degrees aren't necessary for anything unless you plan to do education.
If you can make Cool, you can be successful at selling art.
Yeha, I worked for an sculptor and artist guy that probably has made several million over his lifetime, no art degree, not famous. www.richardmiller.com
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Unfortunately, in this day and age, a marketing degree is far more important than an art degree in determining the financial success of an artist.
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

Barry Kaiser wrote:Unfortunately, in this day and age, a marketing degree is far more important than an art degree in determining the financial success of an artist.
Absolutely. A Blog, a Patreon* and a store are pretty much bare requirements today.

*I think Patreon is a great concept but so many don't understand they have to give something to get something.